Mooch’s Bench Test Results: Molicel M35A - 10A 3450mAh 18650...great performer, about equal to NCR18650GA

Test Report Summary: It’s been a couple of years since I tested samples of this cell and now they’re finally available. Good thing too. These perform just about as well as the Sanyo NCR18650GA, making them one of the best performing ultra-high capacity 18650’s, and the M35A should be about the same price.

As the cells from the other major manufacturers become harder and harder to find it’s great to see Molicel expand the number of cells we can use.

Molicel rates them at 3350mAh minimum/3450mAh typical and at 10A max but they note in the datasheet that cycle life is reduced at this 10A level. Like all ultra-high capacity cells I recommend staying below 50%-70% or so of the continuous current rating in order to reduce voltage sag, decrease risks, and extend the overall life of the cell. This means staying at 5A-7A (15W-21W) or lower.

Maximum charge rate is 1.7A so I recommend staying at 1A or lower to help extend cell life.

The two cells I tested delivered 3482mAh and 3503mAh and had DC internal resistances of 51.3mOhm and 50.7mOhm. This is decent consistency and both cells exceed Molicel’s minimum and typical capacity ratings.

These cells were purchased at 18650BatteryStore (www.18650batterystore.com).

Photos, discharge graphs, ratings graphic: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Full Test report: https://bit.ly/2NNqc3O

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

These tests only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” batteries or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack and you use them AT YOUR OWN RISK. Never exceed the battery’s continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Any rating in my ratings tables can change at any time as different grade cells appear on the market, we get swamped with fakes, or new information becomes available to me. Please, never assume that the ratings in the tables are permanent and will never change! Always download the latest version before considering any cell purchase.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

20 Likes

First!

More importantly, thank you for posting. Was looking at this cell for a 12s9p build coming up. Looks about right.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Awesome report. I saw these the other day and thought they might make good cells for a ebike battery. Thank you

3 Likes

Thanks! This made my day even better!

3 Likes

I don’t know shit about cells yet but learning :exploding_head: and I love the fact that molicel keeps pumping out cells and in my little brain :nerd_face: more cells in the market means better prices :star_struck:
I hope :crossed_fingers: thanks mooch :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I am considering this in 12s6p configuration for a mountain board. How would it compare to Samsung 30q in terms of cycle life? Also, do you think a 6p configuration would give enough amps for a mountainboard?

These will not be good for a mountain board unless you are using them in a very high P count, like 10p+. They will sag a lot and probably get less range than the 30Q. I would say go for a 12s4p or 5p P42A, or a 12s6p 30Q.

I wonder if one could make one time donations through Patreon

1 Like

PM sent

Cycle life I haven’t tested so I’m unable to compare them. How hard they are used, charged, and how they’re stored has a much bigger effect on any datasheet differences in their cycle life specs though.

6P of M35A is best used at about 45A or less, pulse or continuous. 60A max pulse to prevent huge voltage sag.

6P of 30Q could be used pretty efficiently at up to 90A, pulse or continuous, and 120A Max before sag gets crazy.

At above 55A-60A or so, pulse or continuous, the 30Q’s could actually run for longer than an M35A pack due to the better efficiency of the 30Q’s.

1 Like

Small donation sent to the best esk8 battery tester in the world :battery:

4 Likes

Holy crap! Thank you so much for your incredibly generous support!

4 Likes