Modular 12S8P Air Travel Pack Build

bot not to mention the cells wouldn’t handle the current either

Just a warning: not all airport employees or TSA employees will strictly follow the rules for what is and isn’t allowed. Meaning, even if it is within all the rules to bring on a plane there is a chance an employee will say it isn’t allowed.

Had that problem with a pair of tiny shears with non-removable blades. The entire length was well within the allowed lengths for scissors and the blade length was way under the maximum allowed length for scissors. (normally they only measure scissor length from the pivot point to the tip. my pivot point was at the end)

I’m not sure how you could be sure to never have any problems aside from keeping a printed version of the rules the battery will fall under.

have you ever had them question the labeling on the packs you have? it looks super clean to me but I feel like someone who knows nothing about batteries might try and say the label is incorrect or some other dumb shit

never had problems,

It goes both ways too, I remember back in the day Casey Neistat would take his boosted board on planes all the time and I can only remember it getting confiscated once. I think being respectful and explaining it to them if they ask would be your best bet, most of them don’t know nearly as much about batteries as anyone that is capable of building a pack.

I do wonder if they will buy the whole '“spares” thing if they really start questioning you. Something like a power tool battery pack is obviously a self contained spare battery, bms and all included, and a standalone packaged thing these are just a cells shrink wrapper together with come cables that the TSA definitely doesnt know the purpose of coming out.

Also, do you take the packs out of the enclosure when traveling or even unplug them to clearly separate them?

packs are separated from the board

1 Like

“technically” the most safe way is to put them in individual ziplocs. When I flew with my lipos I put them in pairs of two in ziplocs and they didn’t even blink an eye

True but it has the data listed on it, they don’t have a good reason to NOT believe it. In any case, it’s not like you’re going to assemble it on the plane lol

that’s good to hear - I’m planning on flying to PDX with my modular battery lol

i meant no issues with my labels

i’ve been pulled about every time except once or rwice
, one airport had to oull a “materials expert”
that said, i’ve also never had my batteries taken
I have TSA precheck and tend to fly early morning, so i can’t say if regular security will be good or not

i’ve been to

ORD
IND
SJC
SFO
SAN

so far
on a similar note, i’ve brought multiple small lipos through these airports, in addition to the recently stated airports

MSP
SEA
DUB (Ireland)
GFK
AKL (New Zealand)
ZQN (New Zealand)
HNL

7 Likes

Oh haha, ok I see

Hmmm. I see a potential market for modular batteries! I saw a fellow rider a while back take apart his Stooge Racing board. The enclosure had quick releases and the Li-Po batteries stayed in place with velcro.

that’s what i’ve been thinking of for the past couple bits

but, it’s a lot more work and harder to stay on top of cause each pack is still, each pack

you have to do a lot more wiring, they take more space, are more work to charge and maintain, etc

it takes a very specific person to commit to modules

I think it could be appealing if connecting them together would be easier. Like power tool batteries where they just click in and out.

2 Likes

It appealing but it seems like it would be pretty difficult to do. Would be cool to see someone tackle this project.

1 Like

Your input has been invaluable here. If you got through with shrinkwrapped sub-packs with pigtails, I think I’ll be okay with transparent polycarbonate boxes with NO external wires. TSA will be able to clearly see the markings on each cell to back-up what my label proclaims. You’d asked if I had materials to make these packs yet… Everything’s here, I just haven’t had time to play around with it yet. My Flux is still down, motors here + I’m entertaining my mother & trying to finish a big riding mower pack for a buyer this weekend!

ngl, i think seeing a transparent pack with cylinders in it + lots of wires strewn throughout is much more sketchy looking, even if the cylinders are labeled

unless the wiring is absolutely perfect/has an aesthetic

the pigtails and shrink wrap help because that’s how normal lipos are made, so there’s nothing abnormal about that, in addition to the labels

you have to think the mindset of the security agent, who has a very good chance of not knowing jack about batteries, nor what they could look like

i’m not doubting your ability to make it look nice nor saying your pack has no chance of making it through, but, I won’t be liable if you get in trouble

3 Likes

Definitely need to mention my flight safe build and battery for inspiration:

I’m not going for the look of a factory-made RC pack, but rather the look of a factory-made USB power bank. I agree that seeing scary looking fat internal wiring and bullets would teach away from the USB bank premise, am considering traveling with just the USB PCB installed in each, carrying the fat ugly harness bits separately. This adds time to re/disassembly, but I’m more concerned with getting through security than with that. I plan to shrinkwrap each, leaving the tops & bottoms removable to get to the terminals. Using copper strips for series connections (as intended) also eliminates many bullet connections, may provide better ampacity.

Thanks! The more success stories to draw from, the better!

those hoyt cases look sexy - my p groups are just in 3d printed “enclosures”

1 Like

Agreed… I’ve not followed-through since catching this bug. Those who live in a year-round nice climate like California don’t have this problem of 3 months of withdraw/depression from missing their favorite pastime. I’ve dreamed of air-travel-enabled snowbird eskating since 2019, have probably blown $1k so far on failed modular packs. Add another $500 for used gear and lift tickets trying to learn to snowboard + 6mo of sore tailbone & hips from falling. Time to finally make this happen :slight_smile: