MKIII low power mode Q&A UPDATE: I took one for the team

22 microAmp, measured.

2 Likes

I’m so sad I got my pair of VESC6+ a few weeks before the MK3 came out. Have to deal with a potentially crappy flipsky antispark now. =(

2 Likes

Just go as150 :man_shrugging:t2:

Xt90s are too bulky to be pretty imo

2 Likes

The LEDs don’t even turn off. So 1-2mA quiescent current (assuming the MCU goes into stop mode AND disables the DRV gate driver section) sounds about right. 1-2mA is should last a good while, but a lot of users are like me and leave their shit plugged in for months.

You’re overpaying for inferior MOSFETs. Use the TPW1R306PL,L1Q instead. It will save you money and provide better performance.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/toshiba-semiconductor-and-storage/TPW1R306PLL1Q/TPW1R306PLL1QCT-ND/6188444

For the VESC 75/300 look at the TPW3R70APL.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Toshiba/TPW3R70APLL1Q?qs=h6V4JsTaLXdLAnbcoVp14A%3D%3D

Run 5 of them in parallel, cheaper and better performance, and now it becomes the VESC 80/300 (max voltage is now limited by the current sense amps, can go up to 100V if current sensing is moved to lowside).

These MOSFETs, because of their superior switching characteristics can allow switching frequencies of over 40kHz.

The MOSFETs I speced are extremely popular among OEMs. I keep seeing them go out of stock after tens of thousands of them are in stock just a couple months prior.

The VESC 75/300 also uses the INA240 instead of the AD8418, but the 6+ MKIII still uses the AD8418. Why no change on the mkIII? The ina240 is the same price and is a drop-in replacement.

International Rectifier has been the brand name for a while (very smart of Infineon to buy them), but other semiconductor manufacturers have upped their game and released superior power semiconductors. (Infineon themselves had been releasing better power MOSFETs before they acquired IR, funnily enough)

Pro switch sucks, smart switch might suck less.
Wait a few weeks and haggybaord will have something cheaper and better (but lower power).

8 Likes

I really like push-to-start and 20 min auto shutoff :cold_face:

1 Like

Seams like the first 30 Units got the wrong FW loaded, which is not tragic, but does not allow the switch function to work. This is the correct FW. It can be uploaded via the Custom FW tab.

5 Likes

updating the FW on it now will re run motor detectio nand let you know if i still get same error

1 Like

Perfect.

1 Like

thanks i was able to run the detection i uploaded the FW you supplied. though i do have another issue though since updating the vesc’s i can no longer get data through the METR module and app which is annoying since i dont have a battery monitor as i use my phone to monitor my battery. this was working perfectly fine till i updated the vesc tool today and the vesc FW earlier.

i just went to do the input setup but was greeted with this window here after updating the new vesc. since i have 1 of the older models conencted as well do i need to upload the same FW file or will it damage it?

1 Like

Actually I arranged a meeting in between Roman and Benjamin to address such things. Why there are still such issues, I don’t know…

Run the VESC 6+ from the 60 FW please.

1 Like

is there a way to get my board up and running in the meantime. i finally replaced the motor and the vesc and installed my battery and had it on charge for the past hour but i cant seem to get through the vesc tool setup without issues. was hoping to get some riding in for the weekend but if their are still software issues which could damage components or injur the rider i might hold off till this is fixed…

sorry im not sure what that is. do you want me to uploaded the same firmware version through the old vesc that i downloaded from your link?

Update both VESCs and try again. Worst case is that you need to run the wizard for each unit and do a manual configuration.

1 Like

The VESC 60 will need the HW 60 FW, the VESC 6+ the 60MK3 FW.

2 Likes

alrighty just uploaded the 60 and 60MK3 again ill re run motor detection and see if it will let me get through input wizard

@Trampa without the wheels spinning i get this. also i noticed in the background the wheel diameter changed from 200mm to 83mm

Could you please only run a single unit for me? Remove the CAN link
We have a big meeting next week, so any of such matters can be addressed and fixed fast.

1 Like

sure, i can remove can link. since the remote is connected to the new vesc ill run setup on the MK3 as a single then?

Yup, then you do the other one and tell it to be slave.

@Trampa when clicking on the Setup for the second vesc i dont get an option to set it up as a slave.