Metroboard DIY upgrade

Ah yes apologies I haven’t done a profile or anything. I’m in Western Australia. I have no idea what a p size is but I’m sure Ilan could tell me. I’ve sent him an email asking for any specs I might need to custom build a battery so I’ll see what he says. I did dig these pics out that might help but I’m trying to go longer and thinner if I can rather than replace this one with the same thing.

1 Like

Buy a keg and show up at @glyphiks place. He’s a push over.

3 Likes

Ha ha. Is he in WA is he?

Also just dug up this info out of an old email. I must have got this info from Ilan last time I was trying to find a battery in Australia:

36V 5AH LiFePO4 Battery that can handle 5C continuous discharge (meaning at least 25 Amps continuous/50 Amps peak). The physical size of the battery is 180 mm long x 70 mm high x 100 mm deep.

2 Likes

Idk lol
I just know he doesn’t fuck spiders apparently.

4 Likes

Ha ha. Classic but little known Aussie figure of speech.

I just clicked that ‘@’ symbol in your message - he’s in Melbourne. Opposite side of the country.

1 Like

Lol.

There is a dude in WA called @Marsen

I reckon he would be able to cover you for nearly everything you need.

2 Likes

Aha just checked out his website. Might be onto something there. Cheers.

I have TONS of resources and parts available for this exact problem, but I am in USA.

If you can find someone in AUS, you should do it. USA <–> AUS shipping is not friendly.

And this exact enclosure and battery is available if needed, but see above about the shipping

1 Like

Yeah cheers mate. The old Aussie dollar isn’t too flash at the moment either ha ha. I’ll flick that Marsen bloke an email I think. He’s only 6 hours down the road. Practically round the corner in WA.

4 Likes

So I got in touch with Marsen. He can sort me out with a battery but that’s all he does. That’s half a solution at least. Anyone know how I could go about getting a new enclosure?

I’m also sort of struggling to find good basic info on all the different componentry, terminology etc. I suspect I’m gonna have to learn all that if I’m dipping into the semi-DIY space. If you know of any good guides or FAQs flick me some links or something.

Cheers

Whoops - I just found the wiki. Hold off on your links ha ha

I have one here in the USA. If you want to ship it, PM me.

If you’re getting a custom battery made and considering making your own enclosure, you very well could pick a different deck while you’re at it if you wanted to and just swap everything else over.

Hmm. Now I’m wondering how I match up the components - battery size, room and mounting for the esc and internal wiring etc. I still haven’t heard back from Ilan at metroboard either which is odd - he’s normally quick draw Mcgraw on emails.

It’s a bit hard to work out what I can and can’t do in terms of battery specs, current, circuit breaker rating, motor specs etc and from searching on here I can’t see much chatter about modding metroboards. Plenty on boost and evolve. If you know any metroboard gurus on here let me know

I could go different deck I suppose but I might not need to.

OK… I have battery specs and enclosure sorted thanks to ilan. Now I’m just trying to work out which bms to use. Ilan recommends a charge and discharge BMS but was unable to supply one. Here’s the battery specs I got;

1. 10S4P PACK 2) LG MH1 - 3200 MAH 18650 CELLS (10 Amp Continuous Discharge) 3) PACK and BMS must be able to handle 25 Amp Continuous / 50 Amp Peak Discharge 4) PACK and BMS must be able to handle 5 Amp Continuous Charge 5) Pack must have low power discharge electronic switch that enables discharge by connecting two wires together (as described on next page). Note that charge should always be enabled regardless of discharge switch state. 6) See additional requirements on next page.

I’ve been reading about the discharge BMS issues and loss of downhill braking when fully charged. Is there a way to avoid this? I think I read that some types of bestechs are better for this but I quickly got lost in the technical specifics.

Anyone able to recommend one?

Yes, avoid Bestech (or litechpower as their distributor is known) as I’ve had not stellar experiences with them lately. Daly for the win

Bypass configuration:

use “20A36V Common Port” model

Discharge configuration:

use “60A36V Separate Port” model

1 Like

This is more a problem in theory than in practical use.

Do you live or work at the top of a giant hill? If the answer is no, don’t even worry about that.

Roger that. Thanks for the quick reply. I’m talking to a local battery builder here in wa (Marsen) so I can flick him your diagrams.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Could someone please help me out looking to get more acceleration and a good launch of my metroboard xo

Which metroboard? Got a pic of the underside?

If you’re not concerned about top speed, you can probably do that with smaller wheels OR a larger wheel pulley.