MBS Matrix II Truck Mod

That is very true, I personally want pentagonal trucks, out hangars must hail skatan and then he will bless us with less wobbles

2 Likes

Well, Im glad to hear all this.
Also glad someone understands one of I suppose many definitions of flaw.
Thank the lord I was starting to feel dumb AF.

I also glad that @RhythmX cleared up his definition of flaw.
"For me the flaw relates more to a problem that would affect everyone, like a safety issue. "
This is how I see a flaw and hope that my words didn’t cause any chaos.
Just wanted to make sure the info being relayed to everyone here is clear and understandable.
At least not we are all on the same page! Matrix II hype!

3 Likes

@MBS Thanks for your feedback on this topic it’s much appreciated.

It’s now clear to me that some people are interpreting the word flaw in a way that I never intended and I agree that it does come down to semantics.

In British English the definition of flaw is something that “causes something not be perfect” and I stand by that definition.

However to avoid any confusion in the future, I will make it clear by what I mean if I use the word flaw.

Also, If you didn’t see my reply to nullblox, I would like you to know that

“I have never said that this is a matter of safety with an MBS product, out of all the trucks available on the market today, I choose to ride the MBS Matrix II because IMO I think they are the best”

I’m very excited to hear about the next gen of Matrix Trucks and can’t wait to see what changes you have made.

In terms of my mod, I can send you a set for testing when I have the first batch made, if that’s something you are interested in?

3 Likes

Haha. All good man. No worries from our side.

5 Likes

God damn, this is the reason I will probably only ever buy MBS; I wish ya’ll were more invested in the eMTB community than you currently are but, the community (especially @Boardnamics) have filled the gap with affordable options (motor mounts) in the Matrix II space. Either way this approach is so refreshing.

1 Like

@RhythmX after thinking more about it I have a question.

Is it possible to use orange shockblocks and compress them so hard that they feel like a bit compressed red shockblocks?

If you ask yourself why, recently I started to ride in bike parks. For the flow trail I need carvy trucks for all the tight berms and curves but for the jump line stiff trucks. I just imagine taking out a tool of my pocket and switch from flow to jump mode or something in between for the respective trail :grin:

2 Likes

@rich, that’s a really complicated question to answer and I’ll give you the short and honest answer, I don’t know.

The scenario you have described is a hard place to start from, would a very compressed orange block be the same as a partially compressed red block? I’ll try to explain why…

We could assume that the exact same type of riding experience could be achieved by having the oranges cranked down a lot and the reds a little, but there are two reasons that I can think of why this might not be the case.

The first is that by cranking down the oranges more than the red, I strongly suspect that the oranges would have less “travel” available before the block stopped compressing and locked out.

The second is because of the different shore (hardness rating) between the oranges and reds, could effect when the maximum resistance to compression occurred.

Add to this your weight, riding style, deck and binding set up and any other variables is why my short answer is don’t know, sorry if my explanation is confusing.

Great question though :smile:

4 Likes

I like this answer. I’ve wondered about it too.

My gut feel is that an overly compressed softer bushing is not the same as a less compressed harder bushing. and over compressed bushings can be dangerous. but no real science behind that feel i’ve gotten from playing with them.

3 Likes

Thanks for your “short” answer :+1:t2:

Good points, true, it seems difficult to compare both scenarios. As you said the different shore and available travel makes it different even when it would feel the same without steering.

1 Like

Hey.
I know this topic has been out for a while, I was wondering if it would be possible to get some dimensions/drawings of this part ? I’d like to try making it for myself to solve this issue with my Matrix IIs

If they don’t get back to you, I modeled it as well. Hasn’t been online in a few years

9 Likes

Looks like I won’t be getting that anytime soon. Would be up to try to 3D print that part of yours however if you’re still keen to share :slight_smile:

Anyone no where i can source just the metal bridge part? Im looking to mod my matrix original pro trucks to take matrix 2 shocks. Springs are squeeky AF.

Leave it to Andy to show off his calves any chance he gets. :joy:

1 Like

I would suggest going with a barrel solution for that truck set up personally.

Yep, I’m out and about right now so remind me if I forget to send it later.

Just to clarify, that was for test fit purposes only… I would never ride on a 3d print.

2 Likes

Checked out the trampa barrels and i think they will fit? Any experience with them?

Here you are:

Matrix 2 Baseplate Bar.STL (32.8 KB)

2 Likes

Nice Jason nice, thanks for modeling this - looks like the original part.

Haven’t been able to dig up @RhythmX to offer to sell the product advertised here. IIRC Radium has a Riptide bushing adapter for Matrix II & there are a few pieces left of Moon’s adapter in the UK so there is still demand to improve on Matrix II stability (esp. high-speed/jumps).

It doesn’t show up in the image above (MBS Matrix II Truck Mod - #7 by RhythmX) but importantly the design improvement is a lip to stop the top of the shock block sliding laterally when cranked down…this is the secret sauce & it would apply to whether you are talking about a shockblock or a Riptide bushing

And since there are those who either are happy with their Matrix II, don’t want to spend hundreds upgrading to Matrix III or simply can’t be bothered taking it all apart etc, sorting out this part of the baseplate is still a desirable enhancement.

Both MBS Matrix III La Croix hypertrucks, have sauce included

3 Likes