MASSIVE Gear Drive

So im a lil big, at 260. Wanted to get some off roading with big tires but cant really afford a proper set up… the result is what follows.

I started with an eco at drive and used the clamp and adatper to build my own drive! The cost was roughly cheaper than something similar if it even exists. I wanted a ton of torque and cheap replacable gears. I went with 11 tooth m1.5 pinion gear and a 76 tooth wheel gear. I also was under space constraints with huge 3.5 inch wide tires.

The hole thing is sealed with a huge thrust bearing, so that the hub can spin freely outside the enclosure. Ill definitely post pictures with tires.

A lot went into this, but it wasnt crazy, just wanted something cheap to rip.

Edit: materials are 7075 aluminum,hdpe, and ar 500 steel.

26 Likes

Wholey shit man! That is brutally awesome! Fantastic job! Teach us the way, plzzz! Hows it held up, got many or any testing onnit?

3 Likes

Well I just finished working out the kinks. The bearings being loud is the only issue i cant solve. Im waiting on m4 hardware for my wheel adapter so i can bolt my hubs to it and rip! No doubt the wheel gear will hold up, its super strong. The pinion not sure about, said hardened steel.

If you have cad skills and 3d printing skills this can be achieved for about 300$

I will certainly be designing more diy gear drives to show whats possible for cheap. Love your enthusiasm.

Also im Nick too haha

Edit: other issue is deck clearance on mbs pro 97, need to cut a wee bit.

4 Likes

Thats a feature, not a bug! Customized decks look cooler and have been proven to shred harder! And loud pipes save lives so why not bearings? Right on,man, Nicks ftw! Rock on w yo bad self man!

4 Likes

Update: the gears are plenty strong, even the 11t pinion. The gear drive rips, like insane. Huge gears at m 1.5 and a ratio of about 1:7. It handles 10 inch tires very easily.

Problem: spacers for hubs have completly blown out from the immense pressure…

Question: has anyone successfully made a hub adatper for 10 inchers for superstars?

Thanks.

Update again: bigger, stronger spacers, more clearance. Theres a good superstar spacer for wide tires avaliable on thingiverse if anyone is interested… all you need is the hub sleeve for 10 inchers…

3 Likes

i’d recommend you get yourself a set of fatlads (widens the stance and are made for 10"). sick drive btw, made something similar 12:90.

1 Like

Thanks! Will probably have to save up for that… i got some more spacers printing with a different design so hopefully they hold up. And jesus 12:90 sounds absurd… :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like instand wheel bite when turning.
You don’t have any problems with it?

3 Likes

Actually the only problem is the esc case hitting the wheels but that is an easy fix… i chopped the deck in back and have the superstar off set spacers as well. The deck barely misses the wheels in the front… ill post pics when shes up and running again.

Edit: the wheels kinda sit in the pocket where the mtb deck tip angles up

Also not a perfect set up. 3d printed hub parts, shit tires, geardrive thing… its powerful but loud and the tires are beyond wonka.

For those wondering about wheel bite…

2 Likes

Blacked out, 10 inch street tires on way!

Sreet tires here!

4 Likes

For those wondering about the results of my geardrive testing ~ 11t seems to be to low for my purposes, the torque is nuts but the motors are working overtime at a higher rpm. Ive run through one set of pinions already beacuse in my haste i assembled the drive gears slightly off and it causes excessive wear on the pinion. This drive has an adjustable ratio, so i plan to try 12t soon. In addition i ordered the wrong pinions but 14/76 on 10 inchers could be… fast. Thankfully i had 2 rc 11t pinions around to replace the worn ones.

My spacers and sleeves have been reprinted with a different design that allows the wide wheels to sit over the edge of the rim

Ive solved most of the wobble from these massive tires but the ride feel isnt there. The carves are crazy but completly unstable with the tires being so wonky. Think i need some better 10 inch hubs for this board.

Ive also made an esc case for cooling the stormcore. Has a fan powered by a converter, and a heatsink attached through the enclosure. The stormcore seems capable at 75 amps without cooling, but on hot days the motors complelty over heat and id imagine any cooling would help anywhere.

I plan to upgrade the hubs, battery (more amps!!) And motors ofc. Probably lower kv or bigger size. I have a flipshit which can handle 100 amps per side so i might run some tests, problem is my 4p cant take it.

Also i broke a sensor somehow. Replaced connecters and did the 5v test. Its blown. Twsting hfi if anyone has tips i believe its working ok but i dont know much about it.

Cheers!

1 Like