Malectrics spot welder help

Just got a malectrics spot welder.
Followed what half ass directions I could find.
Im using 12v car battery version. It’ll turn on. Allow me to adjust settings, But I can’t get it to weld. I tried automatic and manual. When I hold the electrodes down I get this. Doesnt matter if it’s in auto or manual. 15ms or 25ms

1 Like

I figured it out. This spot welder doesn’t like expensive Optima batteries for some reason. I tried a different car battery and it worked great.

2 Likes

I think it wont weld if it detecs the battery might be too powerful? I know they dont reccomend over 800 CCA cause it might damage the welder

2 Likes

I have an issue with malectrics spot welder, when it’s on Manual mode, it welds/sparks as soon as both probes touch the nickel.
Also, the welds leave holes on the .15 nickel even if I set the timing really low.

Sparks can be a sign of nickel plated steel. It’s also way easier to weld than pure nickel strips. Did you do the scratch and saltwater test on your nickel?

1 Like

Yes they are real nickel, I tested them.
I am more worried about the fact that it “welds” as soon as the probes touch the metal, no delay, no waiting for the switch.

2 Likes

@Tamatoa it sounds like you have the auto weld option selected. Go through the menu and choose foot pedal

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, we actually figured it out in the battery club builder thread. I had the welder mounted backwards :sweat_smile::rofl:.

Apparently when it is mounted backwards, the current travels freely without being controlled by the welder.

2 Likes