Making use of the Spiral Gear Drives

Maytech’s newest gen dual trigger is def a step up from the vx2. Flipsky has something new on the horizon as well.

I really wanted to like the Wand, but I think it missed the mark. Aside from other things, the main problem for me is the thumbwheel height and shape. I’m constantly re-adjusting my thumb while riding because the shape doesn’t sit right and the height of it means that it can occasionally catch my glove or something and send a jolt.

It’s up for sell or trade to anyone that likes it.

That’s just for me, but I have gloves on and I don’t need to re-adjust my thumb on my Wand.

That’s good that it works for some. I had the Wand on this board for the longest time during testing and everyone that wanted to ride said the same thing about it.

1 Like

I think the pistol grip would be mandatory.

1 Like

I agree probably would help a lot. No doubt it would get mistaken for a gun though. Especially with the night riding I do

1 Like

Great mood, that actually makes the drive really usable.
I saw the cost for these parts, on single pair is rather high. They are on the easy side. If most of the guys with this kit need help. I am gonna have a CNC work in the next month so can let them make these parts too, at production cost and shipping. I can also get the bearing at way better price. Usually I use NSK. If alu 6061 t6 (most used with good properties) is good, I can go way lower for a pair.
Just a thought to help :wink:

9 Likes

Dude you are awesome

1 Like

Thanks but nothing special. I care about this community and the people involved. When I can help I do it :blush:

8 Likes

Went out for a night ride. Now the VX2 almost killed me lol. This is a new remote wtf the magnent completely came out of its socket so I totally lost calibration.

I’ll give in, if anyone wants to sell or trade puck Ive got a VX2 and a Wand.

3 Likes

PSA, these plates probably need replacing. This was a premature failure due to a missing washer under one of the four motor bolts which were being used for precise gear meshing.

Didn’t cause a crash but was noticeable on a ride

5 Likes

How have these been going since?

Also, how do you find the KV of the motors pair with the gear ratio?

Recently got a set off @sofu I’ll be engineering them to work with SRB NKP 3-Link system.

2 Likes

Drives are still going strong, wish I woulda used fixed axles because the shoulder bolts kinda suck.

2 Likes

Guess that means never :sweat_smile: Chicago weather pretty much ended any further testing with this board a little early. Although I got enough ride time in to make an assessment.

First I’ll start with the board update. Complete board overhall- 12s4p p42a in a split eboosted enclosure, Stormcore 60D+, Reacher 6388s

I swapped out the stock motor plates with some thicker ones that I had cut from sendcutsend.

Right, so how does it ride? For comparison I have couple boards right now with a similar configuration.
-12s5p VTC5a Evo w/ 6374s straight cut Boardnamics GDs
-12s6p P42a Evo w/ 6384s w/ helical cut Boardnamics GDs

First thing I notice when taking off on this board is the smoothness this gear arrangement offers by comparision. Feels even smoother than when I first built this board.

I was expecting to get slightly more torque/acceralation out of it, but I won’t say it’s unsatisfactory (100 motor amps). Efficiency doesn’t seems to be too great like what @linny is reporting, tuned high with a 2:1 ratio. Had to go pretty high on the brakes too

Top speed is somewhere right above 40mph, still very stable and carvey enough. It’s a fun ride.

5 Likes

If you ever sell this drive train. Dibs

Edit: also if you want more torque I have those same motors in 100kv :crazy_face:

5 Likes

How have I never seen this post?

2 Likes

Me either
You just brought it back to life :wink:

1 Like

Thad mod looks super useful. I need to get around to building mine out. The build keeps getting pushed back. So far it’s the proof deck choochoo, 16s2p p42a LHB pack and a ubox with these drives. Thinking about putting my race remote on it. Build will be unicorns fucking unicorns while unicorns watch

1 Like

Naw static did eight hours ago

2 Likes

Might need to skin that :joy: