Making custom battery for my Evolve Carbon GT with stock BMS

Got a Carbon GT for 185$ Battery completely toast (18V) from a 36v pack yikes. anyways I was wondering if it was possible to buy something like a 10s8p e-bike battery and hook up the stock evolve BMS to it so the ESC and BMS can communicate. I know evolve uses an ESC that can ONLY work if the stock BMS is present. Pretty much take apart the pack and wire in the evolve BMS then run a wire from my backpack to the board. Don’t plan on making a pack that can actually fit into the board as I don’t have the resources or time (Military :confused:) I also make less than minimum wage so I don’t want to drop a ton on this board. just want to get it working but thought id go and get a cheap eBay 10s8p battery that would (work) in theory while being relatively cheap. Does anyone have any input that would be appreciated? I’m much better at hardware like ESCs and motors etc than I am with batteries. toast me if you want :joy:

I know @glyphiks used to do (or maybe still does) evolve mods, including replacing/upgrading the stock pack, but he’s in aus.

What you are suggesting would totally work, not a problem.

@glyphiks was that sarcasm? or do you think that would actually work?

Something like this battery, Take apart and swap the BMS’s. I know it’s a bootleg battery but I just want the board just to work instead of it just sitting with no battery. 5a continuous seems like it might be a bit low because the motors (on paper) are 3000w combined and with a 5a discharge it could only supply 1440w continuous with a 30a max discharge rate at 8640w
any input?
I would imagine swapping the BMS’s would change that output figure but what does the Evolve BMS output amperage-wise?

No sarcasm, the theory would work fine.

Your battery is going to want to be able to comfortably output 40A

hmmm, so I suppose the battery I linked wouldn’t cut it. although isn’t it the BMS that limits the amperage output over the whole pack?

The type of cells that the pack is built with have a lot to do with the output.

I understand that too, but if there were more cells in parallel increase the overall amperage? the cells in these bats are unmarked chinese ones so wont exactly know what the output is.

Maybe ask the seller what the output is, what cells do they use. They could be really crapy and sag like crazy.

Standard Discharge Current: 5A
Max. Discharge Current(BMS): 30A
Over current protection: 120A
that’s all the info I can get,

@glyphiks should the battery be a continuous 40a or a max discharge rate of 40a?

You shouldnt buy some random ebike pack and trust it IMO. have someone here build you a proper top box battery that wont be a fire hazard. Will it cost you more? Yes. Is it as much of a safety hazard? no.

1 Like

Even at a 40a continuous rating you’ll have pretty considerable battery sag, especially using no name cells.

To be honest, I think you may as well just be burning cash, its not worth going cheap on batteries.

I’ve got a carbon gt battery i took out of mine last year with not a lot of miles on it. i had it up on letgo for 250 plus ship. it’s still reporting 95% capacity when i tested it a few weeks ago. might be a heck of a lot easier and safer than a backpack battery n that. as much as im a fan of hotrodding and stuff. but yeah that batt prob blows and if you bail it would prob suck plus wires to trip on seems sketch af. if you’re in the lower 48 i could get a shippingn quote and you might even save money let alone the ballache of tryna rig up some knapsack batt

edit, idk how many evolve batteries blow up but i kinda feel like th evolve pack is a little less likely than some rando 10s8p china batt w bms for 300. i dont know exact figures or anything but it kinda feels like a lot of those fires in the city on the tv’s are from shitty stuff like cheap rip off batts like this. not to scare OP, jus my gf’s family gets on me about having lithium batteries in the house and that’s my go to argument; user error and cheap and abused gear. i think i must have like 666 KWh of cells in my apartment. as long as i dont fuckin touch em, they can’t blow up nd start a fire! right, @Battery_Mooch ??

anyways, yeah if you can even get a straight answer from the ebay seller, i wouldnt trust it.
maybe they’re misled maybe theyre lying maybe they dont knwo. but havent there been reports of shit like batteries showing up and some cells are just filled with sand or is that just a reddit/alibaba type urban legen? idk im jaded wit the chyna stuf

also learned a lot of hard to swallow expensivve lessons trying to save a buck in this hobby… im just glad i never burnt down any houses cuz the kinda shit i was trying to do before i learned better was suuuuuper sussssss and i was basically begging for a fire or failure of epic proprtions

I’ve seen research paper mention of cells/packs catching fire up to a week after something sent the cell into wanting to go into thermal runaway. The exothermic reactions can just sit there, in a tiny part of the cell, slowly creating heat and sustaining themselves, until they reach a part of the cell where they can really get going and cause the cell to catch fire.

Common? No, thank goodness it’s rare.
But possible.

If possible, cells and packs should be stored in a non-flammable location. Ideally where you can toss them outside quickly.

2 Likes

Ill just go over on lifepo now :rofl:

With a few mods you can stuff a GTR battery in there like I did to my girl’s GTX .