Making a modular battery - FAIL

Yes, this is accurate.
A ceramic surface is a very good alternative.
I just like the fact that the aluminium is more or less indestructible even if it requires more energy.

2 Likes

I also like it for that, but I like to weld fast, my kweld setup gets a little too warm for my liking when welding fast at high power :sweat_smile::fire:

1 Like

I tend to avoid nickel to nickel welds if I can help it.
This is why I mostly use H type nickel.

2 Likes

Yeah I can see the benefits of those nickel strips but I can’t bring myself to actually buy any of it. I like the flexibility to create the shapes I want just with strips…

That said, I am looking forward to purchasing a big fat roll of 25mm nickel :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

3 Likes

…and than send me 5m over :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

You are a good man Charlie Brown

3 Likes

want to build a pack but scared… will be watching this thread

3 Likes

Oh my god…
Now you tell me this after all this time struggling with taping up my rolls or having it unroll all over my bench…

7 Likes

Second post updated, one more to come :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

nooooooooo!
after all that work… battery building is not for the faint of heart :broken_heart:
(maybe turn this into a “how to reuse cells” thread)

3 Likes

Rip nickel off with pliers

Swear

Cry

Cut yourself

Dremel the little shards off the cans

Sink a few beers while the lipos charge

Start again :joy:

9 Likes

maybe you should switch back to Goat
:joy:

3 Likes

Second picture on my last post… maybe the goat was the problem :thinking:

1 Like

Back together in a solid config this time. Will finish it tomorrow.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Even if the method fails, it is useful to know it as knowledge. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes I thought so to. Not all was lost, the revised battery came out well.

7 Likes

But now you can’t take it on a plane

How much more time and effort does it take to make these modular?

2 Likes

Yeah well, to make the connections safe, it is definitely necessary to have connections like the first one that I did here

The connections are horizontal across the board and pressure fit from the sides of the board. The space available in the neo deck was not enough to accomodate these connections as well as all the necessary electronics.

So it’s a small case of sorry @monoxane but you know I tried brother :call_me_hand:

Edit: oh and the effort it takes to make a flight safe pack??? Let’s just say I’ll not be doing another one any time soon :joy:

6 Likes

What about flexible packs? If you’re already bridging every p-pack with wire anyways is it that much worse to split those leads and stick a 3.5mm bullet in their place? For segmented enclosures they are individually wrapped anyways so you just put a single JST connection in the balance

Or am I missing something fundamental here?

3 Likes

Flexible packs in segmented enclosures would definitely be a cause for concern, the flex of the board could easily work the bullet connector out of it’s socket.

1 Like