Making a modular battery - FAIL

Back together in a solid config this time. Will finish it tomorrow.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Even if the method fails, it is useful to know it as knowledge. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes I thought so to. Not all was lost, the revised battery came out well.

7 Likes

But now you can’t take it on a plane

How much more time and effort does it take to make these modular?

2 Likes

Yeah well, to make the connections safe, it is definitely necessary to have connections like the first one that I did here

The connections are horizontal across the board and pressure fit from the sides of the board. The space available in the neo deck was not enough to accomodate these connections as well as all the necessary electronics.

So it’s a small case of sorry @monoxane but you know I tried brother :call_me_hand:

Edit: oh and the effort it takes to make a flight safe pack??? Let’s just say I’ll not be doing another one any time soon :joy:

6 Likes

What about flexible packs? If you’re already bridging every p-pack with wire anyways is it that much worse to split those leads and stick a 3.5mm bullet in their place? For segmented enclosures they are individually wrapped anyways so you just put a single JST connection in the balance

Or am I missing something fundamental here?

3 Likes

Flexible packs in segmented enclosures would definitely be a cause for concern, the flex of the board could easily work the bullet connector out of it’s socket.

1 Like

I meant like if people can make those batteries with reasonable success, how bad would it be to modularize it for a rigid enclosure? In theory that style of connection doesn’t add length or width to the pack since all the wiring is on top (bottom?)

1 Like

Ahh I see. Yeah that would probably work, but then you are adding height to the battery.

You would want to make sure the batteries are secured down with velcro or something and that once connected you use some good tape to secure down the bullet connection.

Was thinking 2 lines of dual lock to affix it to the deck and shrink wrap on the bullets and JST. I don’t intend to pull the battery apart but if a pack goes dead or I change my mind I have some flexibility at least

3 Likes

It adds a point of failure. If you are cool with that then by all means go for it.

I feel like the argument of swapping out p groups is kind of moot tho, cos if a p group does die, by rights, you really should replace it with cells of a similar lifespan… it’s highly unlikely that you would have said cells laying around.

1 Like

This is very true, 2 long packs of 5s3p it is

2 Likes

didnt want to go the NESE route?
(too big?)

2 Likes

Mate! It looked so wonderful!
If you had had enough space for the lateral connection approach, the story would have ended differently?

That quoted picture is from another deck of yours? Where did you get those awesome stickers from?

2 Likes

I get so hard seeing battery build threads.

Sorry it didn’t work out for you though. But swapping out p groups should be fine if youre able to balance properly and keep track of each p groups cycle and then just replace right before you get any balancing issues

1 Like

@ZachTetra has brought it to my attention that I probably could have done it by making it similarly to a flex battery i a segmented enclosure.

But oh well, it’s done now. Now never again

Edit, oh i made the stickers

4 Likes

The end result is awesome!

1 Like

Would you mind to share the file? Looks legit.

1 Like

Next time i have my laptop out I will see if i can share it… but it’s a funny file type, it’s made with the editor that came with the label printer so it might not be openable with anything else.

1 Like

Yeah neses would have been way too big. There is another build here with a 10s4p nese in the neo and its too big.