MakeShift Boards

“FakeShift” or “MakeShit”?

4 Likes

Nice pre-empt there.

2 Likes

Let’s not bring comparisons to a scumbag into a perfectly good thread here.

2 Likes

yes sorry I agree

@BillGordon lock me up and throw the key in a river

3 Likes

Retention ring too tight, slight adjustment needed but overall everything fits. Waiting on more bearings.

8 Likes

Without knowing your secret cooling technique, I don’t know how much of this applies to your motors, but I certainly hope you’ve read through the thread on here about features people would like to see incorporated in new motors:

3 Likes

I’d seen that thread a while ago but never fully read through it.

Looking through it now, I realize that I’ve already incorporated most features, and some are unnecessary.

One thing that greatly helps is that these motors will be completely sealed from dust and water ingress. That helps a lot for features regarding airgap and magnet adherence.

I also noticed a point being made about redirecting magnetic field inside. I’d like to point out that these bells have virtually zero magnetic penetration. Magnetic viewing sheet hardly detects any field on the exterior, and I haven’t been able to sense any attraction to steel parts.

This is in part due to the alloy selection for the can, which has some drawbacks. As a result, these cans need to be electroless nickel plated for the necessary corrosion resistance.

9 Likes

That’s great. I see the need for truly sealed motors all over this place.

2 Likes

On a similar note, I haven’t seen a single 50mm motor with a supportive bearing at the end of the bell where it meets the faceplate. Which is odd, because you can easily fit them. That’s a big necessity when it comes to water and dust proofing.

Also helps loads when it comes to knocking motors on rocks.

6 Likes

Like this?

2 Likes

I’m curious on your cooling solution, no worries if it’s a secret to be kept, but since you are talking about completely sealing the motor, by any chance it has to do with ferrofluid?

3 Likes

You’re quite perceptive :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, for a while I wanted to try it but no suitable motors

I guess you have read all the adventures from Justin of Grin Tech on it’s use and the tremendous gains, curious to see how it works with higher rpm and way higher g forces at the airgap compared to ebike motors

If they prove to be good I may rebuild my small board, 5055 motor fit there perfectly, but got really toasty

1 Like

Neat. I saw a sliced drawing but no longer. Belts?

I imagine ur using mild steel for the bell.

If using ferrofluid and transferring the heat to the bell maybe you could add fins around it getting a lot more surface area to transfer to the air

2 Likes

@hummieee

2 Likes

Yea Like that but incorporated. Maybe be vulnerable to bending but for performance. A lot more surface area could be made. I forget what they’re called but when u do really thin fins like that very close together and spin it it really can shed heat. actually was thinking the fins going perpendicular to how they are there. they can machine that easily. wonder how thin you can go. if super thin maybe you get sneaky huge surface area and its also spinning into cool air

what resistance for what kv?

2 Likes

More bearings and some screws. Finally ready for some vesc testing.

9 Likes

damn, that’s way compact.

1 Like

Overall is 50x60mm :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could converting this to some kind of hubs with massive than way down the road make sense? Or is there some technical limitations that i will probably not get that would make it impossible?

1 Like