MakeShift Boards

Hey Guys.

So, I’ve been pretty inactive lately. Basically, I have had a job that’s kept me busy and on my toes for the past year. Anyways, in that time I’ve been working on some products that I hope you’ll be excited about. Iterating, testing, refining, etc. Made an LLC, Makeshift Boards. You know how it goes.

Here’s a sneak peek of what I’ve been working on, I am not revealing everything at this time. I will continually update this initial post for newcomers to the thread, and be posting photos as they’re taken in the discussion that will likely follow below.

What I’m actually trying to do:

A complete drive kit. Buy preassembled as is and install. Includes wheels, trucks, the whole shabang. Motors have a novel cooling technology that I have yet to test, which allows them to be higher power with a smaller package. Trucks are designed around a 10mm shoulder bolt system.

Additionally, I’ve developed a new wheel core. The name has yet to be finalized, but I’ve nicknamed it the Ultracore. It uses 10x26x8 bearings, with 4.8mm balls.

I will be releasing the design files for the core when wheel production begins, so anyone can make wheels like this.

Peep the pictures here:

Peep the test results here:

To be disclosed

I’ve put hundreds of hours into this already and more money than you’d think prototyping. There’s plenty that’s been going on behind the scenes that I haven’t revealed yet, so please be considerate.

As a side note, I will never be accepting preorders. Eventually, there will be free reservations so that I can estimate how much stock to manufacture. Please ban me from the forum the day I propose anything more than that.

29 Likes

Very interesting - best of luck, do the wheel cores affect wheel performance? What kind of size wheels? Are you pouring your own urethane?

Many questions

4 Likes

Before anything is sold or reserved there will be separate production organized. I’ve been pouring my own for testing and haven’t invested in production molds yet. I will eventually outsource that to a wheelhouse.

The first wheel size will be 90mm x 60mm (55mm contact patch). It made the most sense for the overall package while maintaining a comfortable ride. A goal is to reduce overall size and weight with this new motor tech, so giant wheels don’t really make sense.

4 Likes

Lol yes very expensive.

Sounds pretty cool though, the core space has been dead for a while, what kind of interface do the pulleys have with the wheels?

It sounds like your goal is to have a small lightweight drivetrain - what kind of motor size comparison are we talking? Something like 5055 but power of 6355?

2 Likes

Eh, 3k for a mold isn’t much in the grand scheme of things. This drive train already has 2 additional molded parts. So another 2 molds for the core and then urethane isn’t bad at all.

Motors are far more lucrative, and that’ll be where I start off.

I’m not going to make any claims without data to back it up. These are 40 x 35 mm stators that will be able to handle higher amps than other motors of similar size.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good time, I’ll be watching for more updates as time passes

2 Likes

Wow I’ve been wondering where you’ve been. Great work man, really excited to follow your progress.

3 Likes

Excited about the development and the guy behind it, but not so much by the name:

Definition of makeshift . : a usually crude and temporary expedient

That aside, will be following your progress for sure.

9 Likes

It kinda morphed from an initial project I had going, MakeShift Robotics / Labs.

Pretty ironic since my goal is to be as refined as possible.

7 Likes

That name is one “F” away from a punny disaster.

14 Likes

Newest iteration just popped in the mail

9 Likes

hahahahaha the title is what lured me into the thread!

9 Likes

Excited to see you Makeshit!

6 Likes

“FakeShift” or “MakeShit”?

4 Likes

Nice pre-empt there.

2 Likes

Let’s not bring comparisons to a scumbag into a perfectly good thread here.

2 Likes

yes sorry I agree

@BillGordon lock me up and throw the key in a river

3 Likes

Retention ring too tight, slight adjustment needed but overall everything fits. Waiting on more bearings.

8 Likes

Without knowing your secret cooling technique, I don’t know how much of this applies to your motors, but I certainly hope you’ve read through the thread on here about features people would like to see incorporated in new motors:

3 Likes

I’d seen that thread a while ago but never fully read through it.

Looking through it now, I realize that I’ve already incorporated most features, and some are unnecessary.

One thing that greatly helps is that these motors will be completely sealed from dust and water ingress. That helps a lot for features regarding airgap and magnet adherence.

I also noticed a point being made about redirecting magnetic field inside. I’d like to point out that these bells have virtually zero magnetic penetration. Magnetic viewing sheet hardly detects any field on the exterior, and I haven’t been able to sense any attraction to steel parts.

This is in part due to the alloy selection for the can, which has some drawbacks. As a result, these cans need to be electroless nickel plated for the necessary corrosion resistance.

9 Likes