Maker-X Go-FOC DV4 (upgraded version) ----- Most Affordable Dual Drive ESC

Yeah the MakerX and TB vescs are running on 8s with hub motors, so def no erpm problems haha

1 Like

Yeah, any 4.12 that has the spec’d HW will take the 5.x version of the 4.xx specific FW. You’ll need a healthy bootloader though, which can be flashed to the esc w/ an esc of the same HW that has a healthy bootloader, or an STlink.

1 Like

hi, upgrade bootloader first.

1 Like

i have a makerx v4 on 3.62 firmware i tried upgrading to fw 5/5.1 but when i did it does the whole firmware upload and then i reconnect to the vesc tool and it just comes up as 3.62 again
what can i do to solve this i have tried both sides on can and also tried 1 side at a time still doesnt work
thanks a lot

1 Like

Literally one post above.

4 Likes

yeah but i dont have any other vesc 4 only vesc 6 to flash bootloader with

thanks bill @b264 explained it

3 Likes

aargh managed to rip off the usb port on 1 vesc

how do you solder it back on
which cables are necessary

How do I get both sides to communicate? I can only get one side to go, not sure what I’m missing

When you setup your master vesc (the side you have the remote connected to) and go through the input wizard, it should ask you if it’s your primary/master vesc (which it is).

Then you connect the second/slave vesc, go through the input wizard, and you tell it it’s the slave vesc. That should be all you have to do.

Have you already done these steps?

I have not. Ive never used the vesc tool so I’m still trying to save the settings for the left side, tried looking up videos but nothing is black and white so far

Luckily the newer versions of the software are fairly straightforward.

At the bottom of the main page, you’ll see the three big buttons “Connect,” “Motor Setup Wizard,” and “Input Setup Wizard.”

First, plug the USB into the vesc side that your remote receiver is connected to. Then click the Connect button, and next click the Motor Setup Wizard. Go through the all the detection stuff, save/apply, and then do the same thing on the other side of the vesc.

Next, plug your first vesc back in, Connect, and go through the Input Setup Wizard. It will give you three options: single vesc, dual vesc master, or dual vesc slave. Set it to dual vesc master and complete the rest of the wizard. Then disconnect, connect the other side to USB and go through the Input Setup Wizard again. This time tell it it’s the slave vesc. It will immediately tell you setup is finished.

If you need more in-depth help, just ask.

EDIT: I should point out that I’m using Ackmaniac’s modified firmware and esc tool, so I’m not sure if the official tool has changed/has a different layout.

1 Like

I put in an order for 2 of these like 2 months ago, and I haven’t got tracking yet, tired contacting @YUTW123 but havnt heard back from him…wondering what’s up? Anyone else waiting for tracking? I am about to do a paypal dispute

So I set up both sides and went to the input wizard and it said I needed to update the firmware. I went to the firmware tab and hit update all, on both sides, redid the settings, and im still getting the update needed notification in the input wizard.

You probably have to install a bootloader before updating the firmware.

Use the one selected in my screenshot.

2 Likes

Am I a bad person for sitting here enjoying the antics of some beginners? I do as much stupid shit as the next person and just love seeing the random ways people break things

8 Likes

Ok I ran the bootloader and updated, waited a few to power down, and now it will not reconnect. It connects for 5 seconds and then sais “could not read firmware version, make sure it belongs to the vesc”.

You would be if you didn’t add the second sentence.

3 Likes

Power cycle the vesc when this happens.

1 Like

phew All my worries have disappeared, I aim to gain the approval of Bill at all times

1 Like