Make sence to continuing develop this FOC2VESC Project (100V/200A)

Hello guys,

I’m starting a project based on price of GitHub - nordstream3/FOC. But for 100V/200A and with 1,5mm clearance 100V (IPC-2221B, table 6-1, 51-100V on B3). I made some placement study and is possible to feet in 100x100mm 2 PCB interconnected by CAN, and easybreak possible, see the status of half:

So what do you think about this idea?

For more details see:

Thanks for the support.

2 Likes

Welcome!
I think we’re all looking forward to the results of your prototype testing. Do you have a test plan document you can share?

1 Like

Thanks on the replay.

No I don’t have any on the moment. But I will collect data from datasheets for that. Do you have any started that you can share?

Sorry, none that I can share.
This is for a couple of reasons though and I hope the second one doesn’t offend.

The first reason is that all of the good test plans I have are covered by the associated NDA for the product I designed.

The second reason is that I feel strongly about each designer learning what makes for a good test plan and creating their own from scratch. This is critical for learning about the types of potential errors and weaknesses they need to be aware of and how to actually test a device (to expose errors and weaknesses) instead of merely using the device and calling it “beta testing”.

Learning that ESD can cause damage, or that long battery cables increase the magnitude of the voltage spikes an ESC sees at it inputs, helps you develop a good test plan but can also directly affect your design.

The more you learn about how to write a test plan the more you learn how a product can fail. This lets you create more robust designs or at least consider how far you’ll go with the cost/space/time a more reliable design requires.

There are a lot of online resources and examples you can use for developing your plan but it will take time. Luckily, once you have a decent plan for this device it’s easily modifiable to cover any other devices you develop.

It might be two pages long, it might be twenty pages. It all depends on how reliable you want to make your devices and what levels of abuse you think they’ll experience.

Lots of commenting in the test plan is great to have too. It can remind you of why and where a particular test is best used or where it’s less effective than you might want or need.

Your warranty can also be a big driver of how comprehensive your test plan is. If there’s no warranty and you’re just going to wing it then you might not need any plan. Just use the product for a bit, sell it, and see what happens. Sometimes that works out but often at some point down the road it becomes a real problem as units begin to fail. It exposes you to a lot of legal liability too.

Something to consider, but is very expensive, is to buy a copy of the UL 2272 standard for PEV electronics. It was inspired by the flood of hoverboard fires a while ago but applies to all PEVs except e-bikes (which a covered by UL 2849): https://www.ul.com/insights/ul-2272-and-the-safety-of-personal-e-mobility-devices

There’s a great white paper you can download from that page too.

No one wants to take the time and effort to actually test, me included, but this is a safety-related device and I hope you’ll consider formal testing and not releasing the product until it passes this testing. Many esk8 companies don’t though.

I’m excited about this product though and look forward to watching its development move forward!

2 Likes