Magharees Grenadier eMTB / 2 X 6384 / ESCapes / 12s4p Molicel p42a

I use my bms only extern as they charge only anyway. There might be more elegant ways with round 12pin plugs, but I basically use 6s jst plugs. The advantage is that I can use the bms on my lipos as well as 18650 packs.

7 Likes

Thanks I dug it up too and printed it out last night along with Haggy’s sensor wire color order ~ JST. The ESCapes use an ordering opposite to a VESC6 afaik.

I couldn’t figure out what voltage the sensors needed to run at - 3.3v or 5v (toggle switch on ESCape pcb)

That’s pretty sweet, for an enclosure setup I need to have a port to connect to. Thinking that the best way to deal with this is to just wire in a typical small 12s BMS, then eventually replace it with just a port

Like so

@Skaterboy58 thanks again for the share, how are you finding it?

1 Like

5V for hall. 3.3V you can use with the AS5047 encoder for less signal distortion.

Ah right, thank you my learned friend

1 Like

Yes, go extern ALan :wink:

Same for me ^^ with my lipo pack. I got a 2A, 4A and 8A charger for any situation/or pack.
I have made different 12 pins extenders (2x6s, 3x4s).
(but yeah I mostly use RC charger…)
Also with GX16 if I remember well (sorry I don’t have another picture, but the 16mm hole fit in the side of the Trampa Tray) :

And pretty invisible

and a little case for the BMS :blush:

5 Likes

Nice! Very slimline

There’s the choice of these 2 BMS’s, I need an A/S for ESCapes,

With this one i would also need a loopkey for storage

Trying these connectors from Haggy

3 Likes

Of course it would have been better to not have the ESCapes kind of wired into the enclosure but I realised a little late it would need a little reworking to fit the 21700 holders.

I made a buck from some decking timber, you can see from the second picture that I’m with a couple of mm from it being a drop in expansion.

My gas operated hot air/soldering gun is out of butane and it’s hard to get refills given that teens like chuffing it and ships prefer to sell a new disposable lighter. My DIY hot air gun is in a garage a few km away, so why not just use the hot air gun…seemed to make sense.

So the hot air station, a few vicegrips placed around the segment with careful washes of hot air and tightening of grips. The buck is in the first of three bottomed out.

Looks precarious!

1 Like

very nice build :+1:

are you willing to share the cooling fan for the 6384 motor?

1 Like

Life is!

I can always catch it and burn the shit out of my hand if that’s why you mean. Would you prefer if I placed it in the proscribed holder which is current a rats nest of cables and baggies? :joy:

Anyway objective reached, maybe a little resistance but I wanted to avoid moving the mounting screws holes vs deck insert positions

@IDEA enclosure with 12s4p Molicel P42A

Cell height may rear it’s ugly head it’s touch and go now already, yet to be added is the Velcro which could conceivably be another 3-4mm.

For some reason I used 3mm inserts instead of 4mm, had they been 4mm ones I would consider letting the cells sit in the enclosure nononono(!)

So I’ll large out on the interface foam or do a bit of thick rubber in comparison conjunction with the door seal foam.

The pack closest to the ESCs has some thick shrink tube, probably 1.5mm thick & yet to be shrunk as we are getting close to battery building now which comes first.

3 Likes

I think I did on thingiverse, same username

Got a couple of hours to put together the cells for the first segment of the enclosure, tight fit, but we knew that.

• 0.15mm copper strips for parallel <->series.
  • 0.2mm spot welded nickel tabs.
  • 2 x 0.7mm (21 awg)tin plated copper wire for cell fusing. I believe that should cater for 30A continuous.
  • 2 x 10awg series -> 5.5mm bullets soldered to copper strips.

Fishpaper / Kapton tape. 0.7mm (60mm)heat shrink, could have used 70mm.

4 Likes

Getting into a stride

3 Likes

One more, you can just about see the female 5.5mm bullets where the holes are, male bullets to be soldered onto the 10awg wire coming out the other side

Obviously the wrap needs shrinking too

5 Likes

Hello @magharees how are the P42A cells holding up?, when you bough them were they perfectly balanced?

I’m thinking about making a 12S4P pack for my Bustin Sporster

1 Like

Hey you’re the second person to ask & the answer is they are not in use still :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I managed to split the IDEA enclosure & if you remember I tried to talk you into selling me a replacement enclosure but we think it’s too big.

Where does a guy get a replacement enclosure to fit this moderately sized pack?

@Kaly @BigBen @IDEA

1 Like

My HS11 SS might me good candidate to fit these cells but not sure if they will fit with cell holders, I don’t remember a conversation with you about a split enclosure, but send me the width of the pack and I’ll check it they will fit it not. I know the P42A are thicket than 40Ts

1 Like

Hey thanks here is the segment dimensions
74mm W, 170mm L + 30mm H

(x6 segments +mini FatBoy A/S +very small Daly 12s BMS + 2 x ESCapes)

2 Likes

How could i miss this thread?
Nice Dude, im watching your final steps.

1 Like