How to repair a cracked enclosure?

Ah, that one. He did a really nice job. (Of course)

3 Likes

Haha yeah he’s a boss, you make my fav enclosures tho. I’m in love with this one on the blue tayto :ok_hand:

2 Likes

sponsored by fiberglass

3 Likes

Wait does a CF or GF skin stop cracking/splits in general?

Is kydex better? I have a sheet of it but no vacuum table or want to make something.

Also wishing @BigBen would shut up and take my money

2 Likes

Killshot enclosure is underway.

3 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome to Derail Jail
:kissing_heart:

There isn’t too much of a problem there, but my concern is that the crack might grow bigger and bigger if I don’t fix it in time.

Where is the crack headed?

Is GF’ing a repair strip an option I wonder?

Towards the inside between the intersection, that is glue right there above the crack.

1 Like

I don’t really know, a repair strip? Is it something like a tape?

It’s a 12s4p?

1 Like

No it would have to be laid up on the area, whether it is a good thing I dunno

The split I’ve got is like that but it is pretty much the entire width of the channel

I hope to fix mine before it spread out to the entire width…

1 Like

The spread can be stopped by drilling a hole at the end of each split for a start

My attempt to epoxy failed but I made no special prep, thinking that abrading the surface and laying on a couple of layers of glass fiber may do the trick.

I dunno have not tried but it seems possible

Same thing happened to my abs kaly single piece enclosure, mine had spread all the way across and was not really salvageable.

Here’s what I did on my second to prevent it-

Scored each side of the indents between compartments near the edge. Sealed entire width of indent preemptively with some hd black silicone adhesive.

That ABS will eventually crack from repeated flexing, so its better to control where the crack forms and don’t rely upon it for the seal alone. Hence the silicone.

Honestly just silicone errrthhing. Use neutral cure on the inside. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Do you have a pic of what are you explaining?

I sent my second one off on an eMTB I built for my buddy in Texas, hah. Still waiting on a replacement from Ernesto on my own. I’ll see if he has pictures, but otherwise I’ll scribble something on a picture of my old one.

Waiting on enclosures for rebuilds/builds, womp womp.

Scoring went here:

(Approx but you get the idea)

2 Likes

So the best way for me at the moment would be to drill a hole where it has all started? like @magharees suggested.
Sorry for these repetitive questions but I just want to be sure.

1 Like

Drilling a hole to stop it or terminate a split is a good suggestion too if it’s already started. You might start right around the same point I put the suggested score marks, but closer in away from the edge. @magharees thoughts?

2 Likes