LY Evo Falcon...too stiff for long rides?

Now I recommend the new DS enclosure.
The new DS enclosure can place 21700 12s8p without any problems.

6 Likes

For old Shredlights.
You also need to extend the power button cable.

3 Likes

i’m 6’0" and 200lbs, I am running a falcon 40 with the eboosted DS enclosure and a 12s8p samsung 40t. It’s my go to board!
I am cruising comfortably between 25 and 30mph most of the time, top speed 37mph.
6x2 tires on bergmeister rims, with the avio mkii geardrive.

Super comfortable ride!

2 Likes

I just rode mine for the first time a few days ago, for a half hour before the battery went out on me. Not so sure I recommend it yet. I like to really put a lot of my weight right up close to the front truck and it was hard for me to get it right with the shape of the evo.

if i end up with the build I might have to pick your brain on this. I want the exact drivetrain except for the electronics.

1 Like

definitely update us after a few more rides. Do you have a build thread?

Evo is super nice! If I were to do it again I would have gotten a 40” instead of my 36. Even me being only 5’6 its a little on the small side…

If I were to do my build again it would be a 40” on TB110’s 74a or 72a with dual 6355’s (Keep it lighter) and dual focboxes. Most likely on SR RKP’s as my SR TKP’s on this with 65° Front are super unstable over 35mph. 13s5p 30Q. The board actually isn’t super stiff, I can flex it a little and so its comfy for 15 mile + rides.

4 Likes

I just ordered the boardnamics 220mm trucks and adjustable angle baseplates to experiment with further.

What are the SR RKP and TKP’s? Can you give me a link so i can compare?

What did you do, angle wise to improve stability above 35? I tend to keep my riding around 30-32mph and have been pretty comfortable with the Haggy Kahua trucks and riptide bushings. Past 32 though, i def. get wobbles a bit, no matter how much weight I put on my front foot and how good my tuck is.

That’s what she said

I’m not too sure why you get wobbles on Kahua trucks over 32, they are RKP like boardbnamics trucks which is much more stable. The only reason I would say to not run TKP is because they are meant for carving. I know a couple people like @skunk have gone low 40’s on SurfRodz (SR) TKP but I am pretty sure they were wedged down for more stability. The evo has a 65° front and 35° Back which is very good for stability on rkp trucks. I would be very very surprised if you got wobbles on a properly tuned RKP truck and Evo going over 35…

Balance the wheels.
I think it is effective at high speed.
Poor wheel balance can cause tire wobble.
Replace the bushings on the back truck with hard ones.

1 Like

Wheel balance would probably account for any wobbles that i’m experiencing. I will give that a go.

I have like 30 different sets of bushings, and i’ve gotten them dialed in pretty well. Doing an 87a front and 90a rear has been the most stable for me so far and given me the turning characteristics that I enjoy the most.

1 Like

I use a 95A bushing at the rear for Kahua track. It sacrifices turning performance at low speeds for high speed stability.

1 Like

I live in suburbia where there are lots of short blocks, stop signs, and not a lot of straights. 90% of my riding gets done on back roads through neighborhoods. 95a didnt let me cut 90 degree turns tightly enough to be comfortable when sharing the road with cars. i’d need to add some partial foot wedges to the top deck to get more leverage at that point, I think.

2 Likes

If you have other bushings to play with, consider trying a bigger front-to-back duro/shape difference, I found the evo to work much better that way.
Had the same turning radius issue before. It’s much better now and still very stable at 30mph, running APS 90A front (canon/fatcone), 97.5A back (canon/chubby).

edit: adjustable baseplates are amazing for getting it dialed in just right xD

3 Likes

I will definitely play with the range of the bushings some more once the adjustable base plates arrive. I have two full sets of every durometer venom’s and two full sets of every duro riptide, and some misc ones like yellow/purple/orange orangatangs and generic bushings etc.

I also should be getting a set of the moon gear drives in a month or so to experiment with on another build. I might put them onto a subsonic century instead of an evo. I am going to get every gear ratio.

I’ll make a thread on it once i have the moon drives and the adjustable baseplates in hand.

2 Likes

Nah not in one place, eventually I will. BluPenguin is fixing my battery so I’ll get back at it sometime. And the pic of the board is in my post history. I had used a drop platform deck before but never at esk8 speed. Also it kind of forced my foot a little more sideways than I would normally have it due to the platform, which caused my heel to get close enough to the wheel that it was concerning.

1 Like

You got a good enclosure option for the 2012 one? I have three struggling to find an enclosure lol

Just used a cheap fiberglass one for one, a psychotiller for the other and sender sent an enclosure with his board

1 Like

Just got my wheel weights in the mail today. 48 hours! Shipping notification said i wouldn’t get them until April 13th, so I was pleasantly surprised. Going to tune allll the rims once I finish prepping another 12s6p battery for my buddy’s electric fatbike.

2 Likes