Luukjes pneumie rim design, interest poll in first post.

Materials for the first 3 sets are ordered by @surfnacho, cant friggin wait.

8 Likes

i wanna see this work

7 Likes

After going back and forth with @surfnacho, this will be the first test model.
Super hyped to actually see this in action.

prices have been paid for the first 3 test sets

a lot of damn time finally coming to the real world :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Printed version ready ty try out.
Pulleys are in the making.

8 Likes

Ya, turns out they can handle 2.5 BAR of pressure before the rim snaps off, nooooo

3 Likes

I do think the extra 5 mm of widening makes them look very sleek, it makes that they do not form very round.

3 Likes

Btw, they were printed with titanx filament, ill try and see if acetone treated holds more pressure.

3 Likes

It doesn’t

13 Likes

Progress my dudes :call_me_hand:t4:

5 Likes

13 Likes

@surfnacho when you purchase aluminum do they come in blocks how does that work?

2 Likes

There are many types of alum stock. The standards types i usually buy are flat bar stock, round bar stock, plate, and sheet.

These hubs are from a long, 5 foot 4x1.5 bar. We then cut that down in to 4x4 chunks

4 Likes

For the laser we buy large sheets. Both aluminum and steel

3 Likes

I definitely got to look into metal mill classes thanks :call_me_hand: so cool

2 Likes

I wish it wasn’t that expensive. The ton of things I got in my mind to fabricate in alum but it seems that making even the smallest piece and price try to fly out of the charts :rocket:. In a way is kind of discouraging. Almost always any piece cost an eye.

We’ve been inmersed in a tech wave for quite a while now, all sorts of milling machines, precision CNC, laser cutters, 3d printers, water jet cutting, additive manufacturing of all types, etc., and the prices still high (??) What’s going on? Why working with aluminum still an expensive proposition despite the myriad of emerging technologies to cut, print, machine, sublimate, mill, engrave the thing?

4 Likes

what price are you referencing?

2 Likes

for almost anything to machine, mill, CNC, press, print such materials.

2 Likes

right I understand that. But you said “I wish it wasn’t that expensive”. What are you trying to do and what are the costs

2 Likes

I understand your point, but there is a lot more than just the equipment. And yes, desktop routers are well priced, but they cannot do complex parts and part flips, or at least not well.

3d printing (hobby/desktop grade) is dirt cheap in its current state.

4 Likes

also, this “tech wave” you speak of, has really been about rapid prototyping on a small scale, on the desktop. “If you want something done, do it yourself” (I am not saying this to you, this is just a way to sum up the “tech wave”).

Having to hire someone else to do the work adds a lot of expense. When you are trying to make something yourself, you really can take however much time you need. But when you are being paid to do this work, you have to make it worth your time.

The materials can also be very expensive. Just for reference, hundreds of dollars went into material for these hubs. The more you make the cheaper of course. If I had bought material for just one, the per hub cost would have shot up

5 Likes