LPU - Lil Power Unit

The datasheet says it does.

I would recommend the LM5164, you’ll need REALLY big inductors with the LM2576.

2 Likes

Awesome will look into it, thank you. I am still a complete beginner at this so still wrapping my head around things. What determines the size of inductor required?

1 Like

Voltage differential, current limits, desired ripple current, switching frequency.

Oh boy, I think there are some LM5164 reference designs you can copy-paste.

Just copy this schematic, replace R24 with 344.7k resistor (or something reasonably close).
Use this inductor
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/eaton-electronics-division/HCMA0703-330-R/283-4535-1-ND/5168185

I know it works at low currents because this is what is running in my test ESC right now.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the LM5164 is not available on the JLCPCB library of SMT products. The reference design for the LM2576 showed a 100uh inductor which is what I have shown in my design. What would be the correct value?

1 Like

no, the inductor you have is not rated for any significant current and would likely explode if you tried it in this circuit.

Just buy the part off mouser or digikey, it’s very easy to hand solder.

Please read a guide on buck converter design, it will save you a lot of trouble.
There considerations you need to take into account such as output voltage ripple (shouldn’t matter for a fan), inductor saturation current, inductor thermal rated current, capacitor decoupling, etc.

I actually screwed up on the initial design because I didn’t have the ripple injection network necessary for a PFM COT converter to have a stable output (network formed by R22, C7, and C9).

In fact the output capacitor specified there probably isn’t big enough, and needs to move to 22 or 47uF.

4 Likes

I’m going to be a douche here, what kind of step down topology are those ICs? I cant see an inductor so I’m guessing its LDOs? LDO’ing 60V to 3.3 5 and 12V are reaaaally inneffective way of doing it.

I have a design I can share with a decent buck converter I found that takes up to 75V. Never really finnished the design but maybe you can :slight_smile: (it has control for lights as well ;))

5 Likes

Couldn’t tell you, I am the noobest of noobs at this. I just wanted to learn something new

I’d love to see your design, not sure if it will fit what I’m trying to achieve here, cheap and small but can’t hurt to have a look!

This is the converter part.

I havn’t tested it in a lab or anything, but it looks promising and can handle 5A output.
This is close to the refrence design in the datasheet, but I chose a better inductor to be far away from any saturation.

Also have one design of same IC for 12V. Was originally meant to be put into the davega but its real tight for space and PCB gets bit costly so we kind of put the idea on hold :smiley:

there’s a tiny ferrite bead that the OP thought would be a suitable inductor.

@kalebludlow
The schematic I provided goes up to 100V with 1A output. The design fits in a form factor the size of your thumb.

2 Likes

I’ll sit down tomorrow and sort out my options. I do appreciate the help from both @Gamer43 @linsus with navigating the confusing path this project is taking

2 Likes

Love the idea, The 60 V is the max?

Prehaps that perticular can be expanded, as people build bigger and bigger packs

1 Like

Ah wow didnt even see those.
Have you tested your the design you posted? Is it stable, thinking both no load and full load

Yes, it’s literally in my test ESC and it worked in some antispark prototypes.

2 Likes

Definitely would be cool to build or me he there voltages into the package. I don’t see the requirement right now as there are very few ESC options that go above 12S but if the design shown by @Gamer43 is actually able to go to 100v then the functionality should be there

Unity was the go too, Now it’s Stormcore/… and its more around 16S-22S or something mad like that

The whole reason why I chose this part was to support 20S on my ESC.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like the choice to move to the LM5165 is very logical here. All signs point to yes. Will implement and release new version tomorrow

Lm5164, the lm 5165 is a different chip entirely.

Was reading the 5165 data sheet and didn’t think it matched my requirements. Checked the 5164 and it’s PERFECT for what I need. Will definitely move forward with this. Wish it was a little cheaper per chip

surprisingly cheap for a TI IC.

1 Like