Lock nuts - What material?

I am seeing 3/8 24 lock nuts for my 10mm axles made out various materials. Grade 2 steel, grade 5 steel, grade 8 steel, stainless steel and titanium. Other than the titanium the prices are not that far apart. I can’t image wheel lock nuts are under that much load.

Stainless ok for this application? What would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Stainless so it doesnt rust, titanium if i want to be fancy. Grade wise anything will work really, its not a high stress application.

2 Likes

Lacroix and xcell both made aluminum locknuts and I’ve never heard about them failing, so stainless should be way more than enough strength.

You can use half nuts if you want to save a little weight.

1 Like

I’ve always been a fan of zinc plated + higher grade. Though it’s less likely if the axles aren’t stainless as well, stainless nuts are still susceptible to galling & seizing.

As for grade 2 vs grade 8 on a nut.
You’re probably fine with grade 2 for a wheel axle. But tensile strength between the two is literally more than double. Why not just opt for higher grade in a hobby that has a risk of serious bodily injury. Densities between those grades are similar to the point you’re not really saving on weight at all.

2 Likes