Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

@shaman You might want to up your packaging game a little bit, these pins seem to have gotten bent in transit. Not a big deal though, I’m stoked to get this thing up and running!

12 Likes

hey we know that solder connection is nice and solid at least.

3 Likes

The Little FOCer is right next to the wheel hub above the rail. (checkered with warning sticker)

I don’t have a model of the PCB part of the ESC that would allow me to design my own heatsink combined with a box that mounts to the rail. I have not figured out the exact method to attach the box to the rail yet.

1 Like

What are you putting yours in?

3 Likes

Thought so. Nice!

1 Like

Had issues with CtoA cable, C2C worked fine with vesc tool 3.0.
Programming pins came bent, perhaps boards could be flashed with pogo pins?
Still not sure what size phase wire connectors, I only have 5.5 and xt150 on hand.
Overall very happy with form factor, although it’s gonna take some padding and sealing board side.
Curious if SW can be updated messed with to some degree, took a look at presets maybe a word could be said on that regard. Perhaps a strain relief could be added in the aluminium on top of the JST connectors.

Thanks Shaman! PS: Maybe you should setup a Po box for return addrs? If not can I come E-burnout ?

2 Likes

5kw ebike :muscle:

8 Likes

Good catch. Switching to female header to help mitigate issue in Rev2. And yeah the packing game will be upped by the distributors.

8 Likes

Whens the next drop going to happen?

2 Likes

Aiming for sometime in summer. Working on it

6 Likes

hey should I unsolder the programming pins ?

1 Like

You should probably confirm that your unit is fully working before doing that, if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

Just make sure they aren’t touching each other and you should be fine

1 Like

TAME!

4 Likes

Not sure you’re on top of it so just in case: This area where you’re planning on putting the controller is very exposed to big impact forces whenever your board rolls. Tbh. I can’t imagine a design that would hold up to a single hit. Unless you ride super careful to never have that happen (which I think takes out most of the fun), you might wanna rethink this?

1 Like

not even steel mcplate?

you can see here where cap reorientation and combining the heatsink with this attachment plate would provide the proper wheel clearance

Pinch points might be not at bad with a fender wrapping around the tire, and ESC box.

1 Like

The first time that vehicle rolls, it’s game over.

Funwheels crash by rolling on their long axis, right on that ESC.

3 Likes

I can start working on a fender based case but the fender attachment would need to be beefed up accordingly.

grumble grumble

2 Likes

Well, if it’s 4mm or thicker, might be okay, I can’t really tell exactly. Also really depends on the direction of a particular impact, if you’re unlucky, even a very thick one will bend IMO. Other considerations are you really need to attach it well to the rails and it’ll be bending into your tire…

People attach all kinds of things all over their boards… I like my board simple and rugged, with nothing sticking out anywhere. I also like to do tricks and ride aggressively. In your case it’s the controller that’s exposed though, I’d feel queasy about it :slight_smile:

On a related note, I’ve been wondering where’s the sweet spot of battery capacity, it’s highly unlikely you’re going to ride ~100km in a single ride without a chance to recharge. I think the XR frame allows to put the controller inside the front box and have e.g. a 20S3P battery (split perhaps unevenly between the footpads) that’s gonna be just sufficient. At least that’s my dream configuration right now (not what I decided to do as my first FOCer attempt though).

In any case, I’m very interested in your build, please keep sharing :smiley:

2 Likes

Yup :slight_smile:

1 Like