Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

@shaman What is the max voltage for the on/off switch? Can I switch it directly off my 20s battery positive/ground?

2 Likes

All you do is hook up a switch that either bridges the connector pins to each other or opens. Closed is off and open is on. It’s not in any way dependent on the battery voltage

3 Likes

For fitting a “stock” FOCer into one of these boxes with a 20S1P module, the heat sink needs a 12mm chamfer.
=

I guess the battery module in the front should be flipped so the clearance corner is on the same side of the board

uh I could also do a funky split battery in the front if I wanted.

4 Likes

nvm

@b264 what cell?

30Q puts this 20S3P pack at $250

5 Likes

So you’re planning on 3d printing these boxes? I think you kinda still need some heat outlet, mounting the FOCer’s heatsink to plastic is not good?

I’m also planning on 3d printing a box sometime for an XR build (first FOCer attempt will be in my Pint though). And likely a funky battery split, as doing this in a clean P split you need two BMSes…

Have you considered starting a thread for your build? :nerd_face:

1 Like

I am the only person I know of that has designed a OW box around being CNC cut from a block, but I was planning on using plastic.

here I flipped it. In the previous picture the space under the ESC’s heatsink could have had some kind of thermal coupling to outside the case. Now the lid would need to be at least partially metal.

What do you mean this is my build thread. :joy:

JK I can make one for my progress but I am trying to figure everything out that relates to the FOCer and the ideal configuration for upgrading a Funking wheel, or at least what to try first.

Right now I am trying to figure out if @shaman planned for this thing to fit in so perfectly or it was just magic.

8 Likes

In the 18650 for factor, Molicel P26A are good

1 Like

I’m looking to max out a QS 205 50h v3 hub motor around 100-150A battery current and 20s, should I wait for the bigger FOCer’s? :wink:

3 Likes

well I guess so if you want to max it out.

1 Like

But the Big FOCer is posed to be in this league. I just ran a prototype of it on my ebike with a MXUS V3. It’s similar to that QS 205. Went up to 250A motor phase. Though I was gunna tear the frame apart with all that torque…

No more details on that until its further in development though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ahhh that sounds mental!

I might just give the Smol FOCer a go and maybe upgrade down the road :heart:

1 Like

Yeah the little one does very well for its class. I’ve run it extensively on my ebike. Still has enough speed and torque to keep up with traffic on 45mph roads with a 16S battery. Would be faster with 20S but I’m too scared to go faster on a bike frame.

4 Likes

I’ve done motor amps of 140ish. Seems ok so far but I can lower it if the shaman says so :wink:

2 Likes

Shaman what size phase wire connectors pls

1 Like

4mm bullet connector

1 Like

What bluetooth transmitter yall using ?

Has anyone besides @bj97301 started using the controller yet?

2 Likes

Me and @Zippy are having it sent from the US to Europe this week. Hopefully we’ll be able to give feedback sooner than later

2 Likes

Just made a little test setup with a 15s onewheel pint pack and a Funwheel hub, works great on the bench!

4 Likes

The ability to detect inductance seems to be a little random

I need better connections for the hall sensors because I appear to be losing those during testing.

@shaman would you consider rounding this side of the PCB?

nvm