Little FOCer! 84V 5kW VESC-Based Controller

I frequently charge 12S LiFePO4 to 42V because I have a bazillion 42V chargers everywhere. That’s the same per cell voltage as charging a 24S LiFePO4 to 84V.

The problem is, I do make sure that they get the full 43.8V charge at least sometimes to keep the pack balanced. You’d need to do the same unless you could find a BMS that balances at 3.5V or use a smart BMS.

The other thing, is that if you have board lighting, even if it’s just like a watt, a 24S LiFePO4 pack is going to fall from full charge (87.6V) to under 84V in probably 20 seconds per Ah (for my board) or so, just idling the ESC and running the lights, and the moment you touch the throttle it’s going to fall below 84V instantly.

The LiFePO4 discharge curve is super steep on the top end.

I’d ask @shaman about that.

4 Likes

Personally I like the properties of the LiFePO4 chemistry. Higher durability, larger operating temp range, and a flat discharge curve once it gets down to about 3.2V per cell.

5 Likes

Yep the elimination of premature voltage sag for a balancing vehicle seems ideal even over immensely decreased range, at least for testing and not a final product.

and @b264 partially charging 24S lifepo4 would be sweet with some kind of alarm to make sure the battery is within safe limits before the motor turns on.

1 Like

When I start to feel sag on LiFePO4, it means my range is down to like a kilometer… they still feel spunky nearly all the way to the end.

I definitely prefer them by far if you can deal with the lower range.

3 Likes

Got mine just now! Thanks @shaman! These are wonderful. I can’t find a pin-out for the various connectors, anyone have a link?

2 Likes

littleFOCerHeatsinkPinout

Little FOCer LittleFOCer pinout pin-out pins connections

6 Likes

Cough, thanks. I checked this entire thread but not the vendor site lol

3 Likes

I did the same thing but then ended up checking the vendor site. I added search words above :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

lol ya’ll

3 Likes

But yeah I owe the community a decent manual and stuff. Such things are under way. I also have ideas for other useful documentation to help cover the gaps in not only my own products but the VESC project in general.

6 Likes

When’s the next batch?

1 Like

I can help :wink:

Also, just got the controllers. Dem heat sinks aren’t fucking around. They have some heft to them. Looking forward to going 35mph on my kids razor mx500 :joy:.

4 Likes

Cool I’ll hit you up when it’s time.

Yeah having a lot of thermal mass goes a long way. And you can bolt that block down onto whatever else in your rig. Ideally a plate or part of the chassis that’s exposed to air.

3 Likes

Want help testing it? I can 3d print all the things :joy:

2 Likes

Just got mine today! This thing is beefy :arrow_heading_down:

5 Likes

Would you be crazy enough to do this though?

With 35E cells 20S4P is 1008KWh

2 Likes

just say no to 35E cells, especially in a 4P configuration

4 Likes

Fine… 30Q 20S4P is 864Wh which is alright I guess

Napkin math says it would go 48 miles with 1.5x more battery than a CBXR

Oh thought it was a case for the focer.

Does anyone have a case model for the focer? If not I can make a shitty one :joy:

1 Like

Where are you fitting the Focer and other components?

1 Like