Lipo equivalent to li-ion 10s4p

@Jacobee If I remember correctly I think my bigben enclosure height is roughly 4cm, and with the evolve AT wheels I get good ground clearance. The enclosure should work with most lipos under 3s. Initially i am planning to charge them with a hobby charger. If this gets tedious then I’d look into getting a BMS.

@malJohann how many 2s2p lipos would be needed, and are they connected in series just like a 1p lipo? If 5 were to be connected in series would it make a 10s10p pack?

Series means the “s” is multiplied. Parallel multiples the “p”. 5 of the 2s2p in series is 10s2p

2 Likes

5 in series makes 10s2p.

2 Likes

LiPos have good output, but are heavy and bulky, that’s the price you pay for the performance.

2 Likes

Imo lipos are only good for smaller packs that are like 8 amp hours and under because a lithium ion pack that small would sag hard, anything above that and you might as well go with lithium ion

2 Likes

@Jacobee What lipo setup would you recommend for a 8 or 12 amp hour pack?

A bit of history behind this build. I initially had a pre built 8s4p 25r li-ion pack which I ran a couple of times on a single 6374 motor and 97mm wheels. I then accidentally fried the battery when installing a second motor (I was in a rush coming off a night shift and solder the second Vesc’s xt connector incorrectly). I was given another prebuilt 10s3p pack for free however based on battery spec I have been informed that it’s not really suitable for esk8. So now I’m contemplating building my own lipo pack as I am comfortable with soldering and already have a lot of the materials needed. However my knowledge and experience with lipo is limited.

1 Like

Probably 2 of these in series for a 10s pack. Simple only 2 batteries to charge decent range plenty of power but it only has 296 watt hours vs the 432 of a 10s4p. Also the batteries are 39mm thick so make sure your enclosure fits them.

3 Likes

I have 8 of the heavy duty packs in the 6s version and they did perform very well. They not as good as the graphens, but for the price it’s definitely not bad.

1 Like

Thanks. I’d read on the builders forum that lipos should be above 60c otherwise it may affect acceleration/breaks. Is this not the case in your experience?

C rating is really inconsistent across all lipos. My uncle has a setup of those exact lipos in his board (they’re the blue ones but those are discontinued and these have the fact same specs and same manufacturer) we run them at 60 battery amps total and haven’t had any problems. If we look at theoretical discharge 8 * 30= 240 we know the battery can’t really do that. However half of that 120 or lower battery amps should be fine unless you want a really high discharge pack for racing or off-roading

2 Likes

C rating only has meaning when paired with capacity so a 1Ah 60C battery can in theory max at 60A if it were 2Ah would be 120A max so you can’t use the rating itself in isolation without knowing capacity it’s meaningless also as mentioned it varies a lot mfg to mfg no standard test.

On a single drive I just have 30C 5Ah 10S but being light weight and on flat land mostly I only draw 10A-20A at peak and can easily get 20mph so it’s not really a problem for me (I don’t drag race I use it for commuting around town).

Can see some data with my battery very near dead here:

2 Likes

Almost dead in 2 miles!?! That is what kills it for me using lipos

…from 37.2V to 36.3V in 3.4km… @Bobby
Things would look different if the battery would have been charged for the log… just sayin :rofl:

1 Like

Are you after something like this? with a proper BMS setup? its not that difficult.

2 Likes

Haha yah i get about 12 miles to a charge just taken trips like this every few days so was drained when I started. I only carry 185Wh but wanted something light for hopping the train here.

A battery charged version to see what the voltage fall off on that looks like for comparison:

Another cruise same charge different day, forgot to record the ride there but can see I can get 7 miles in a ride no problem but this is about the longest trip I need to make (Home Depot)

1 Like

Do you have a build log that goes more into this?
Not much lipo battery bms topics on the forum compares to the more popular li-ions

1 Like

Yep, that’s the plan. I’ll probably need more than two batteries though unless I get a deeper enclosure or sand the deck. What BMS do you recommend?

@murdomeek don’t have a build log, unfortunately. if you know how to wire a BMS for Li-ion, is really the same. I am just using balance lead extenders to not have to modify the LIpo balance leads at all.

@Monkey using this cheapo charge only

Seems to work fine. only have about 5 full charges though.

1 Like

sweet
i guess li-po and li-ion BMS can be used interchangeably?

Yes. Only for charging though because full charge voltage is the same. For discharge use your vesc settings for a higher cutoff for lipos.

1 Like