Lipo batteries are weird

Hi all so I ordered 2 6s 6.6aH LiPo batteries from HobbyKing AUSTRALIA. And I got them today however one of the two supposedly identical batteries, is taller! It amounts to what looks like 7 cells and I’m verrry worried about having it in my possession as it still uses the same 6s JSTXH connector but the height is throwing me off. Here’s the two side by side!

~ Worry not about the unboxing knife, I’m aware but I’m being careful with blades and batteries.

a smiple discharge test would tell you if one has significantly bigger capacity or not. No need to do surgery.

If it has one extra in series, you’d have higher voltage on one and I’m guessing the assembler just ignored the extra cell for the balance connector as all wires already were taken.

If you have one extra cell in a p group then that voltage wont fall as hard as the others.

When god gives you extra lipos make lemonade?

2 Likes

Does the taller pack feel “puffy”? That is, can you press down at all on the side?

If yes then one or more cells are damaged and have “puffed” due to excess gas creation. The pack would then be dangerous to use.

If that taller pack feels at all squishier than the other pack, don’t use it. Contact the vendor for a refund. It looks too squared off to be a puffed pack but it’s always best to check and make sure.

3 Likes

No it feels perfectly rigid, no swelling. I’ve used 3S lipos for RC before but this is a new weird thing to happen.

Both measure at 22.2 volts on a meter.

2 Likes

Both measure to 22.2 and after watching someone dissect the turnigy style lipos, it is indeed true that each cell is wider. Trippy.

1 Like

Wtf hobbyking lmao that’s a really weird one

My thoughts exactly. Gonna call today and ask for advice.