LiPo Balance Lead PCB (gouging interest)

Ahahaha perfect then

1 Like

Love it. I wonder if it can be adapted to li-ion, with maybe 12 xt60 connectors, to connect 4 cell p-groups for example. Make things modular, and get rid of those skinny balance leads everywhere. Solder big copper bus bars for the power lines…

2 Likes

it adds space and would have to be a set width apart. every lipos width is different so it’d be kinda weird if you know what i mean

2 Likes

could definitely be done. however you’d need a fucin chunky mf of a bus bar running down the side to take the current. wouldn’t really be ideal. Using the pcb for the balance leads and using Normal silicone wire for the mains is far easier i think

1 Like

Right, duh, bus bar would be for parallel stuff not series…

But the idea of trading space for convenient and robust connections, might be worth a moment’s thought, at least for me.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll look at it in solidworks tomorrow when I get to work.

there are balance wire extensions available in 5-25cm length. That shouldn’t be an issue than.

Would love to be able to charge 2 parallel and 2 series at the same time, any chance of this?

Yeah the idea is that there’s less cables. not more. also the fact that the pcb sits next to the batteries not to one side. i mean its an option but that’s basically a parallel charging board from Hobbyking

2 Likes

that’s what it can do. you run the main positive to the load and main negative lead to a bms, and then connect the balance leads of the bms to the pcb, then you can charge 12s2p through the pcb

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone will see this but what do you all think will be the more popular option?

• 12s2p (2x 6s Groups of 2p)
  • 12s2p (3x 4s groups of 2p)
  • 12s3p (2x 6s Groups of 3p)
  • 12s3p (3x 4s groups of 3p)

0 voters

(i think the first option would appeal to alot of MTB-ers)
Adding on to the post, i don’t think i’ll be having SMD soldered fuses. purely because they’d be a right bitch to replace if they blew

2 Likes

In terms of cost, AFAIK 4s packs are a bit cheaper than the same Wh of 6s packs, so that may be a more cost-effective option… Probably also a slimmer form-factor too.

3 Likes

this is true, for builds with electronics underneath decks definitely

This would be perfect for my upcoming moestooge inspired build. I plan on using (4) 4s 10000mah lipos 8s2p. It would be super cool if you actually got this working

4 Likes

@soflo when are you planning on getting that going? i should be able to have the boards to you by the end of January (in in Germany till the 13th of January

2 Likes

I love this idea!

I’ve got one critique though. You absolutely need very clear labeling for what is what. Doesn’t apply as much to the 1p setups.

For 2p and up, connecting the wrong balance cables to the wrong port on that PCB has the potential to short an entire pack.

Because of this, you’ll definitely need a fuse on every single pin on every single connector. Having it just by the outlet where the 12S connector is is not sufficient, you need protection within the battery.

5 Likes

@TowerCrisis totally getcha. For this rendition I’m trying to include as much labelling as possible as I’ve had to switch the jst plugs around to be able to route it all on a pcb.
eg

2 Likes

@Venom121212 I’ve just reread this. by external bms i thought you meant external to the pcb. The idea is to be external to the pcb not the enclosure

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to clarify

1 Like

No rush my man, I’m still getting parts together and waiting for trucks from the man himself.

1 Like