LIGHTING HELP 5v LED woes

. This is a bit of a random one .
I’ve wired in a 5V led strip to a step down converter. It was working totally fine until recently. For some unknown reason the converter stopped working the other day so I had to buy a new one . The new one is outputting 5v fine into a led blutooth module but my led strip no longer works.
I have other 5V led strips that work fine with the lighting module and I have tried all the modes but the strip is still not working?
( I have both sides going to the same point. I’ve checked all the wiring and even wired it direct to the led module but both are not playing ball.
Any help appreciated as I’m flummoxed
Pic for ref

What’s the part number of your strip, and the part number of your buck converter?

1 Like

The light led strip that’s not working is WS2812B
It worked completely fine with the led module before the buck converter stopped outputting 5v
The buck converter is just a generic Fulree 55v-5v 3amp

What happens if you swap the controller on the led strip that’s not working with one that is working?

How do u mean? I’m only using a single controller. The lights are wired directly to it .
Upon doing some quick research it looks for a 1m strip with 144 leds it’s going to need more than 15watts so that could well be the issue

edit: are you still looking to get something printed?

The most efficient thing to check is if the LED strip is getting voltage by touching the end with a multimeter, if it is then it is probably dead. I have some of the exact same strips I- (well just look at my pfp).

@infiniteoffset I know you know some stuff about these LEDs

It is getting voltage yes.
What would be the cause of death? No im good thanks , i ended up making a carbon fibre plate for my power switch so don’t need anything printing anymore . Thx though.

If the buck converter failed and sent a high voltage to the output while it was kicking the bucket, it’s conceivable that other things could get broken at that time.

1 Like

Sometimes with power supplies die (especially buck converters, and more likely when they’re cheap), they send a voltage spike on their output, like a dieing cough. It’s possible this killed all the LEDs that were connected, especially if they are smartLEDs that have integrated digital controllers.

Would this match up with the symptoms?

EDIT: damnit sniped😂

There is a fuse battery side. Do u think adding another led side would prevent the same from happening in the future ?

1 Like

Maybe? The issue is a voltage spike, not a current spike. Correlated, but not necessarily the same. A fuse only protects against a current spike.

A better solution would be a TVS diode, varistor, or similar voltage clamping component soldered across the output terminals of the buck converter.

1 Like

U don’t happen to have a link to one that would be suitable? It’s a 5v output . Thx

Any of these should work for you

2 Likes

This work Dya think ?

Apologies for the newb question? Is this diagram correct as in the cathode of the diode to the pos and anode at the negative side

?

Yes, the bottom two images are correct. The top image, ignore that.

The top image is just stating which end is what isnt it?

1 Like

If you put the anode on the positive side of the psu, the diode will explode(or, at least, start smoking) when you plug it in :slight_smile:

1 Like