Lets Make Some Composite ATB Decks :)

I actually have about the same machine, but I suck at fusion 360.

Won’t you need a longer Z slider?

2 Likes

If you PM me I would be happy to help you with fusion 360. once you learn a few basic principles you will be able to build on them and do a lot. happy to help on that front.

yeah, I dont have enough space to do the whole mold in one shot. I addressed that above. I will make it in two pieces and bind them together.

2 Likes

Generous offer, I will hit you up when I get to it.

Sorry, I missed that.

1 Like

oof, I need that hook up. some of these high end technical composite materials look to be hard to get in small qtys…

1 Like

where you at… I can speak to BIL! his shop is in Nevada USA, as a reference, some of his kayak have come from Conner’s America’s Cup Cat, andDick Rutan’s voyager remnants…

and 100s of jet firefighter’s that have raydomes…

EDIT:

you’ll need much less than a kayak… you can Prolly poach some rems of the rems… but all his shit is prepreg… you’re gunna need a 'clave…

2 Likes

nice, that would be great. I’m in California. ping me and let me know what he says.

spacecraft grade deck. I like the sound of that…

yeah, prepreg seems to be the best way to go.

4 Likes

I’ll ask… what kinda SQ Ft do you think youll need…???

2 Likes

Cool write up. More stuff like this is always fantastic.

I have a CNC build planned, this would totally be one of things that I want to do with it. Making molds for things and routing out esk8 decks or whatever.

2 Likes

roughly 45 square feet for a 16 ply deck.

2 Likes

thanks bro. I’m gonna keep updating it as I learn more. check back for more.

feel free to hit me up when you get to your cnc build. I’m happy to help. I’ve got good workflows for cutting carbon fiber, aluminum, different plastics, etc.

2 Likes

I’ll ask… it depends on the workload and what’s going on in the shop… while I’m asking the sky is the limit, what would be perfect for you? I mean what weave…

as long as we’re asking… let’s shoot for the moon!

It may cost you shipping and pressing me a board… are you good with that?

1 Like

yeah. that’s fair shipping and a press.

I’ll need to perfect my process 1st. but once I figure it out I’ll make you one for sure.

ideally, I would like to try and get something like twintex. which I think is called “roving weave thermopolymer e-glass”

or something similar.

but if you explain to your contact the flex / regidity we are attempting to achieve and he has a better suggestion let’s go for that. I’m not married to one mat or process.

1 Like

yep : ) I’m subbed to his channel. good shit

Got it!!! I’ll 'splain to him your objectives, and it may take a bit of time for him to obtain perfect rems… but it is all possible… I’ll keep you in the loop! He’s as crazy at making radical cheep kayaks as we are making weird motorized death-machetes…

EDIT: auto-correct but death-machetes seems appropriate…

and add, I’m not asking for a separate mold or anything, just press exactly what you’re pressing, I provide the CF… we’ll work out the deets as we go along!

1 Like

death machetes XD

good on all fronts.

this will be a slow project for me so no rush.

I just started ordering the components for my 1st two boards today. those will take precedence. but that’s for another thread…

2 Likes

This looks awesome!! I’m in the process of building a CNC to cut molds as well.

I have a vacuum pump as well that is pretty damn awesome, would just need a resin catch to do this stuff.

If you haven’t bought your bag yet, let me know. They guy I got mine from sells some of the best out there

3 Likes

IMG_20191030_074152_805

6 Likes

Great write up, thanks for taking the time.

2 Likes

So he is most likely using prepeg and then pressing under heat?

Hmmm thats alot harder to do out of my garage then.

I want to try a combo of some maple and a few layers of glass but still figuring out the best way.

@nervkil I have some mold files, but don’t know how to do the CAM for it. Once I have my cnc built I may reach out to you for help!

1 Like

Yes, either that or vacuum bagging with one side of the mould and putting a bunch of vacuum bagged decks that in an autoclave. Basically a low temperature oven with a programmable temp profile. Tons of videos on YouTube. Looks pretty doable actually in the garage.

1 Like