Let It All Burn; Batteries, That Is

Enjoy folks. This was a labor of love and fire, and perhaps a small contribution to the pool of YouTube “reviews” that stands half a step above the usual passing advertisement.

Many thanks to @Battery_Mooch for helping me, in an ENTIRELY theoretical and academic sense. At NO point was I given any guidance on how to proceed with unsafe handling of any hazardous materials.

60 Likes

Ayyy let’s take the time to leave this fine gentlemen a like and or a comment for doing the proper testing to reflect our actual use case. This video actually depicts the safety and failure points one would experience in this scenario, no BS.

Mario, you’re my main mensch!

22 Likes

no-shakes-head

5 Likes

Awesome video. Well worth the full watch. I would not have sought this kind of content out, had you not posted it. So thank you for all the effort and expense and for making all of us aware of it!

Sidenote… am I the only one who thought
If the manufacturer reinforces the seams, it’s not going to -stop- the explosion, it’s probably going to make the end result more violent when the next weakest part of the bag does eventually give way

In the few OSHA regulated facilities I’ve worked in, the fire safety cabinet is a brightly colored steel box with vents, specifically designed to provide a predetermined escape path for venting gases (and sometimes with flame arresters). Typically mounted to a cinder block or concrete wall.

11 Likes

It was everything I hoped it would be and more. Thank you so much for doing this :pray:

5 Likes

its 69 like, i don’t want to touch it tho :joy:

10 Likes

Excellent work Mario. Thanks for going to these lengths to highlight this shit product and educate folks on battery safety!

It’s pretty disgusting to think that Nobleman would ship a product this grossly inadequate and call it a safety device.

8 Likes

For me the review of the product took the back seat in comparison to the presentation of awareness around li-ion safety.

I have no words for how great this video is.

11 Likes

Which can only hurt the business and reputation. Why ship over a product that isn’t up to the task, especially when the reviewer tells you “Ima blow this up ya know?”

4 Likes

100%
For sure will be the first recommendation to watch when I meet PEV’ers who don’t know or respect the dangers of the power packs we all ride with. The vid is much more relatable and informative than watching a Tesla burning.

The inclusion of the “fuckfuckfuck” guy was gold well called for :rofl:

5 Likes

i just watched this through youtube recommendation! awesome vid

3 Likes

I can’t wait to show you guys the fireproof bag i have for my 2x 6s 12Ah lipos!

3 Likes

All they needed to do was advertise it differently.

The bag makes it much safer to grab the pev and throw it out the front door or off the porch

6 Likes

shoebox isn’t a bag

3 Likes

I’m not actually aware of how Nobleman advertised it. But the way it was shilled by that fucking ammar cunt was unacceptable.

5 Likes

just wondering if those bags can contain lifepo4 fireworks given that they are less explosive compared to li-ion

2 Likes

Only one way to find out :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

@hummieee you shorted an overcharged A123 right?

internal fuse tripped iirc

1 Like

I’ve done almost every abuse test I can think of. I could’ve had more cells in series/parallel dumping/shorting into a single cell and maybe that would be more dramatic but the most excitement came from charging to 8.5v and was a smelly smoke bomb.

Shorting did trigger an internal fuse. But then the cell strangely would come back to life later. It would always show a decent voltage but somehow barely any current would pass

2 Likes

I wonder if you could gain some sort of advantage in a use case with that fuse tripped state activated.

2 Likes