LAVAGIRL - tomiboi MTB | ubox v1 | 12s8p p42a | Luna 350s | Reacher 6485s

yeah would be interested to hear how that sounds – both sides were “chattery” cause they’re gear drives, but one was noticeably worse than the other

1 Like

every time i’ve had a cut out like you described it was the controller that was over can bus and it got alot more frequent on fw6.0 but i’ve had it happen on fw5.3 last week and fw5.2 last year. on both a ubox and trampa vesc6
also replace that damn helmet tis fucked

1 Like

Might not be the best suggestion, but wouldn’t this be a good justification to cut the temperature wire on the motor sensor?

I’ve never needed to worry about motor temps on any of my builds.

2 Likes

Honestly yeah. I once had a motor with a bad temp sensor wire, which would cause the ESC to sometimes think the motor temp had increased to 280 degrees C, and not power said motor. If that happened during riding… then welcome to wobble city :laughing:

3 Likes

@haven I had a similar, but less serious crash a few months back. Brief cutout sent me down ~30mph.

I never figured out what caused the fault. Everything seemed perfectly fine in the setup. The only thing I learned was that 500ms fault time will fuck you up, so reduce that to 80ms and you stand a chance of riding out a fault.

It made me paranoid about my remote choice. I don’t think the cutout had anything to do with my remote, but it did make me only want to use the most reliable remotes available for high speed riding.

4 Likes

After my last 40+mph fall it took a long time to trust hardware again, was a duty cycle setting for me. One thing I learned tho is to be very careful on the first few rides after any set up change. Do you have any logging from this? Lots of good advice up top. Do the phase wire short test see if it’s your motors. Power on the board see if things are alive. Maybe share some screen shots of your settings

4 Likes

One more thing I might add to this conversation is that I don’t take a board to full speed on its maiden voyage, I have to work up trust for the machine before I do that.

This is mostly because I don’t have a dynamometer at home.

6 Likes

Yet

2 Likes

Not to be a downer but my trust in these things has just slowly depleted since day one. To the point where I’m happier to walk these days.

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing the night of my crash when I was laying in bed covered in road rash, hoping my spine wasn’t fucked…

I was telling myself “fuck this shit imma be a 20mph thane guy”

Buuut no way, I gotta fix my board :sweat_smile::pleading_face:

3 Likes

I got one last build left in me. 40kph thane.

5 Likes

I think I feel the same way, I am going to move to sur Ron’s/emotos. Esk8s are just so unreliable and skittish in my experience, all it takes is some tiny electrictical fault or some crazy part failure and it’s game over. Skateboards just weren’t meant to go as fast as most people here push them and esk8 electronics still all feel like dev projects compared to a good ebike.

5 Likes

Yep, well and truly over being a crash test dummy. I’ve gained more scars through esk8 in the last 5 yrs than the rest of my life combined… and i had a lot of scars before esk8 :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

The more I look at my board the more damage I discover… guess I have to replace an adj BP too :sob:

Broken shit I’ve discovered so far:

2 axles (one snapped, one bent)
BN adj BP (kingpin bent)
2x BN hubs
BN wheel adapter
BN wheel/spur gear (whole thing is warped)
TSG Pass
My body

Fuckin’ expensive crash, man.

3 Likes

If it’s just the kingpin thats bent, its just a standard bolt.

4 Likes

I think that’s all it is, so glad to hear it. Universal typically or should I confirm with @Boardnamics?

1 Like

They work for me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hey, we’re twins, I wonder if @Boardnamics sells the outer half by itself.

1 Like

Gnarly dude.

I am about to ride two new set ups this weekend and this has made me think a lot more about checking the set up.

Hope you get back out there soon.

3 Likes

I set my motor and esc temp cutoffs super high just because I don’t like the feeling of thermal throttling at speed.

1 Like