Larger bearings?

I’m absolutely showing my noob status here but sweet suffering Jesus that’s fast. I can barely hit 30km/h on a perfectly straight flat road without chickening out

2 Likes

I’ve blown up enough electronics to be veeery wary of anything with a spicy failure mode, just gives me the shivers

As someone who’s ridden ceramic 608 bearings to their failure point twice, I agree.

1 Like

I’ll be looking for YouTube vids or something showing smaller are more efficient and haven’t seen that. Some big bearing benefits: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXISVJTCY0w

1 Like

I mean, you don’t really need youtube videos if you have two bearings of different sizes on hand. Try it, the smaller ones spin more freely.

Ergo, by empirical evidence, they have lower rolling resistance.

I can make a video if need be. I’ve got bearings ranging in OD from 6mm to about 150mm on hand.

2 Likes

Curious to know if given the same load, whether or not a small or big bearing is more efficient. Same lubrications and scenario.

Also that load being 50% of the small bearings dynamic load rating. Of course we know that the small bearing will have less rolling resistance under low or no load, but what about when the load is close to the rating?

1 Like

Bigger bearings, and more load, have more resistance.

If you want more, SKF has a nice dense technical document with lots and lots of formulae.

4 Likes

Makes sense to me, especially the fact that a bigger bearing has a bigger moment arm for that drag. The BALLS have to roll more distance for every rotation, more energy.

4 Likes

Yup. Plus more surface area contact (larger radii of curvature), and more surface area in contact with the grease too.

1 Like

Plus bigger balls weigh more :joy:

2 Likes

i am curious, what do you think of the bearings Kaly is using, I think they are fancy thrust bearing.

I don’t see much posts about regular skate bearings failing dangerously, but are the bearings we are using really suitable for esk8?

you get more momentum once they start moving swinging rolling

1 Like

2 Likes

Angular contact bearings are good for combined (axial and radial) loads, which would occur, for example, when you slide or corner on a skateboard.

They’re not pure thrust bearings, which would be terrible.

5 Likes

:wink:

as you say and the formula tells the bigger bored bearing has more friction. Strange as these bearings i posted before:(These New Greaseless Bearings Can Spin Virtually Forever) …tell all about the cage being the big source of friction

Considering contamination in bearings, maybe bigger sizes would retain their performance better than smaller sizes, without regular cleaning? (same way big wheels roll over stones more easily than smaller wheels)

2 Likes

makes sense bigger bearings would have less friction from contamination for the same reason bigger wheel rolling over stones more easily. Also over time the bigger bearing would be less likely to deteriorate and develop more friction in that way. neither of which i read anything about…after like an hour or reading NSK’s stuff and other related stuff.

were they the ones from fastedddy tho?[quote=“b264, post:23, topic:53779, full:true”]
As someone who’s ridden ceramic 608 bearings to their failure point twice, I agree.
[/quote]

That doesn’t sound familiar but I don’t know. One had white balls / white races the other had dark balls / steel races if I recall

1 Like