Landyachtz deck

Cause I was curious, here’s all the recent LY decks (available on their website) with specs:

DECK LENGTH (IN) WIDTH (IN) WHEELBASE (IN) PLIES STIFFNESS
ATV-X 32 9 14.3 7 (2 composite) stiff
Battle Axe 38 38.2 9.4 27 8 flexy
Charlie Horse 35.8 9.13 24 7 stiff
Cheese Grater 36.3 9.5 26 10 stiff
Condor 41 9.9 9.9 7 flexy
Dinghy 28.5 8.6 14.6 7 stiff
Dipper 36 8.7 24.3 7 medium
Drop Carve 38 37.9 9.7 28 7 medium
Drop Carve 40 40.2 9.7 28 7 medium
Drop Cat Seeker 33 33 9.6 23.9 7 medium
Drop Cat 38 38 9.9 29.3 8 medium/stiff
Drop Hammer 36.5 10 27.25 7 stiff
Evo 36 36 9.5 27.8 9 stiff
Evo 40 39 10 32 9 stiff
Freedive 36.8 9.6 23 9 stiff
Gordito 35 10 17.5 7 stiff
Rally Cat 34.7 9 24 7 stiff
Ripper 36.9 9 24.9 7 medium
Stratus 46 45.5 9.3 28 8 medium
Switchblade 38 38 9.8 29 9 stiff
Switchblade 40 40 10 31 9 stiff
Tony Danza 40 8.5 22.8 7 medium

It puts it a bit more in perspective, when the ply range is only 7-9. Flexy rating seems quite important. I wouldn’t buy anything not labeled “stiff”.

Evo, Dinghy, Drop Hammer, Switchblade… all proven

8 Likes

I’d also mention there’s other factors to flex aside from plies, like the deck contour, ply thickness, and layer orientation. That’s how you can have the Battle Axe with 8 layers be way more flexible than a Rally Cat with 7. I think flex could still work - just look at all the Boosted clones out there, but you’ll need two part or multi-segment enclosures to preserve as much deck flex as possible.

3 Likes

Not all are made equal though, my 40" Evo is a lot stiffer than my 36" Drop Hammer

2 Likes

Drop Hammer is 7 plies, Evo is 9, so that would make sense, no?
Did you mean the DH feels stiffer?

1 Like

It makes sense, but they are both classes as stiff, just wanted people to know there’s a noticable different even in a category

1 Like

Ah. Agreed. There’s a million more details to crafting a skate deck than just plies and a ballpark stiffness rating. But as esk8 decks to avoid, for me personally, stiffness rating is a halfway decent benchmark.

1 Like

If the enclosure is segmented or if you’re top mounting I think they are fine, but a long stiff enclosure on a flexy deck is definitely a recipe for disaster

1 Like

Dude my Evo feels much stiffer compared to my pinecone switchblade! Same plys I think too.
I guess cause it has slightly lesser concave

2 Likes

Well nowwww you tell me

2 Likes

Lol I didn’t know you were doing it :joy:

1 Like

Me working on my vanguard build:
emoji-looking
I like flex

5 Likes

Well, drop hammer is stiff for sure, I have push-carved it the whole summer season and I like to call it “rapid-plank”. Then again, maybe it is stiff enough but I feel like 7 ply may be too little for hard AT driving, I have already done some chips on edges/corners while pushing. And daaaamn, it’s short. It is really short.

Evo 40 seems fantastic, but I cannot find any second-handed locally :frowning:

Any other suggestions for some drop/double-drop 40ish deck for AT esk8?

And just to be clear - LY is a great brand, I love their boards. Had the chance to test several different models of theirs and they are solid, predictable. So as others had already noticed, the first post problem maybe just a poor deck-purpose selection rather than a poor deck itself.

I’ve been riding a Landyachtz switchblade over 3000km and it’s been amazing. Love it.

Also I’m selling a Landyachtz R5 if you’re interested, it’s perfect for esk8.

Never seen that deck before, looks awesome! Wonder how about clearance, but I guess in planned 175mm + DKP should be fine.

Nevertheless, I’m pretty sure that shipping costs from Canada to EU will kill the fun, so I won’t even ask for the price :smiley: Thanks anyway!

1 Like

I absolutely love how you analyze this failure and give as many details as possible and try to advance the science — instead of just making a popcorn thread shitting on a vendor for the drama factor.

We can all learn from this :+1:

7 Likes

Another small detail i thought was interesting-
I tore apart the build last night (:cry:) and realized the split stops above the end of the epoxied drop thru.

I’d forgotten that I embedded strips of fiberglass inside the cutouts as I poured (2 layers of epoxy), which may have actually stopped this failure from shearing clean through.

Additionally, you can tell from the previous image, the epoxy did not bond to the wood very well in some places.

1 Like

Hey! I set up an account just for this. I work with Landyachtz, so thought i could give some advice about the product range. First, it sucks that the it snapped. But other’s in the thread have the right idea. That board has a lot of flex to it, and i’d think that the sudden torque of the motor over time just weakened the wood the glues. It’s just not the kind of forces that deck was designed to take. If i was chosing one of our decks to use as the basis for an esk8 project, I’d go for a switchblade. They’re a lot stiffer, Canadian Maple, and they’re 9 ply. I’d go for the 38’s as I’m not the tallest guy, but there’s 40’s too. Or, and this one might seem a bit crazy, the ATV-X decks. They’re smaller, most designed for street skating and cruising, but they have two layers of composite mixed in with Canadian Maple.

At the other end of the scale entirely are the race boards. They’re a blend of maple and carbon fibre. Expensive but super stiff. The Evo’s (which others have suggested) are technically race boards too, but I also hesitate to categorize them with the El Peligro and Obsidian.

Lastly, someone mentioned shipping from Canada to the EU would be expensive for a landyachtz board. We have some distributors in Europe, I’m not going to link them all here as i don’t want to seem like I’m shilling businesses, but just google around for local resellers of our boards and you should find them.

Anyway, I hope that helps or is at least slightly informative.

21 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input. I think my favorite Landyachtz builds are the Switchblade ones, they just look so good.

Interesting about the ATV-X ones, haven’t seen anyone use those before

2 Likes

My landyhatz battle axe 40 is still going strong, Love that thing, its been 2 years now no issues

It’s come so far, we grew into the hobby together

(this is a very old pic btw, ive come a long way lmao)

4 Likes

They’re shorter than would be normal for an esk8, but they’re sweet boards.

1 Like