LACROIX Stormcore ESC and iOS app info

I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with any of this bs no more :rofl:
Be safe out there brother :love_you_gesture:t3:

7 Likes

Don’t have a screenshot at the moment but it was doing it on these, 80motor-70motor, absolute max 80, battery 100 battery regen -15 on this battery
Swapped the battery out with another to try eliminate variables
Mosfet temp the highest IV seen was reaching 82 degrees, I adjusted the Dutch cycle limit start to 85% which has helped avoid the full power cuts and now it just restricts power until it has to stop.
Have a couple of solder joints on the esc phases to fix up a bit so hoping that is maybe where the issue lies

Raise “Absolute Maximum Current” to at least 160A or preferably the maximum it will allow you to set it at. Your problem will vanish.

2 Likes

Ok awesome will go back to that I didn’t like restricting the values cause it feels like extra headroom is only beneficial for voltage spikes etc but had been told it was out of the parameters I could run.
Now you say that though the and current fault only registered after changing that value, previously I was unable to get a code once the duty cycle limit was made to start earlier.
Cheers

2 Likes

Any guesstimate whatsoever on the 60s stormcore to be a available?!

Just seen this

7 Likes

Here’s a pic of the inside that was posted on reddit. Not sure what you can actually tell, but if it didn’t originate from the stormcore the SC sure did take a hit. I’d probably guess it was the BMS, but really can’t tell. Those front cells do look pretty rough however he put it out with a standard fire extinguisher so I wasn’t a lithium fire, yet. Random note, he did use super cheap motors for some other pretty premium parts on the build.

4 Likes

I believe it was the CF of the deck that shorted out the uninsulated cells when he stood on the board for the first time. He put P42As in the enclosure designed for 18560s so it was already tight.

8 Likes

Full pack short does add up based on the shrink wrap being burned all the was along the side opposite the fire. I guess I should quote his text for context. Being that it wasn’t even during operation, I think you can rule out the possibility of the stormcore or BMS being the culprit.

After finally (basically) finishing my DIY “Batmobile” that I have spent 5 months on as a busy engineering student, I screwed the enclosure lid down and stood on it for the first time with wheels. It was wonderful… until I heard a hissing sound and smoke started billowing out of the deck. Ran the board outside to the parking lot where I proceeded to unscrew the lid to try and put the fire out before it blew up the entire battery.
Never got to ride it which is the worst part. We’ll see if I pick the project back up later.
Just thought the good people of this subreddit would be entertained by another horror story. Not intended to put anyone off from building a DIY just a reminder to always be extra careful and not do anything above your very comfortable skill level.

6 Likes

Whose board was this?

Wow that is scary, the epicenter does look to be this group of cells

He was fast enough to extinguish it, so the root cause can be identified

5 Likes

From this reddit post:

My guess based on this:

Tried the plastic cell dividers and welded the cells before realizing the extra 1mm per cell made the pack too big for the enclosure. Had to strip all of the welds and go about using the cells without dividers. Also the old ESC was a FESC 6.6 that 1/2 of stopped working when I was about to start testing.

Also:

I lined the entirety of the battery enclosure in adhesive fish paper. Now there was a section of the board where the 3 cells that did explode that wasn’t lined because they stuck about 1 cm out of the “battery enclosure” part of the deck.

7 Likes

hot damn, remembered what i asked u two days ago?? @BenjaminF :crazy_face:
guess i was too stupid to think it would work

3 Likes

It’s the Ownboard/Boundmotor/Esk8Supply carbon fiber integrated deck. I am highly skeptical of that deck having enough vertical space for a 21700 battery.

That particular deck bumps up in the rear of the enclosure cavity to have a shallower section for the ESC, for some reason. The redditor actually made his pack too long, so the cells from his last group were resting on that bump. He also said he attempted to sand that bump down to get the cells to fit.

My theory is that when he sanded the CF down, he basically made a big patch of rough, raw CF, then when he stood on the lid it pitched his pack in that spot causing the cells to short out through the CF.

The takeaway here is that if you are going to use that deck, dont use 21700s, and if you are going to use 21700s, DONT TRY TO EXCEED THE BATTERY SECTION OF THE ENCLOSURE COMPARTMENT.

8 Likes

18650 barely fit in the evolve carbon which those decks seem to be based off of no?

2 Likes

“barely” is an understatement.

2 Likes

This could be important to some of you:

4 Likes

I’m no battery expert, but this looks like a shit show. No wonder it blew up.

7 Likes

Yo wtf is going on with those welds

5 Likes

welds are way too hot, and there are too few of them…and omg so many other things…this person should not be building batterires

8 Likes