Lacroix Barrel enclosure riser

Hi there
I’m looking to put a larger battery in my Barrel and would need an enclosure riser for it to fit.
I’ve seen it done before but unfortunately they’re not ‘off the shelf’.
Has anyone here made or had one made before? I have someone who can water jet cut it for me but ideally they’d want a vector file of the enclosure/riser shape…
Any help appreciated

I’ve used closed cell foam, worked great
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08CBQ5PQZ/

Good to know.
That’s my plan b

That compresses over time, Alliexpress has some silicone foam, that has GREAT springback.

Length 1M Square White Silicone Foaming Sealing Strips Silicone Sponge Sealing Strips Rectangle Silicone Foaming Strip - AliExpress

In my opinion, whatever you are using as an enclosure riser needs to be somewhat uncompressable. Foam is great for sealing or filling inconsistent gaps, but to actually take up space, you want something firm like rubber.

I find that enclosures that have massive foam gaskets are usually relying on whatever is inside the enclosure to take up the space and are then having the flanges pulled towards the deck with the bolts. Over time and repeated flexing, the bolts come loose or at worst, shear. On top of that, the insides are likely to suffer from damage due to abrasion as they have become the actual spacer.

Just my 2c after many years of working on boards and throwing foam spacers in the bin as soon as they enter the shop.

8 Likes

The problem with rubber is unless you sock down the bolts, you wont get a seal. That foamed silicone is quite resistance to collapse, AND seals. Much higher durometer than regular foam.

2 Likes

I typically use the rubber in conjunction with EVA foam. Rubber as the spacer, foam as the seal.

5 Likes

I’m after one of these, neoprene seems like a sensible compromise

Radium guys can make it if you have a vector file of enclosure. They figure it would be cheaper if there were a few guys wanting one and they made a few rather than just a one off…

I can make a dxf file if someone here has a dimensionally accurate photo of the enclosure and can take a couple measurements?

That would be awesome - I can do that at some stage this week

Don’t combine the job of spacer and sealer. Use a spacer to space and a sealer to seal.

2 Likes