KURBY; The Journey of Pedro's First Build

Fucking nailed it!!! The build itself is epic with a lot of attention to detail. That’s very impressive! You showcased a lot of creativity and skill sets. I really love that you learned how to skin a duck and it looks amazing! And thank you for walking us through your journey from getting pre-builts to making this epic machine!!

Edited for typos

4 Likes

This is probably one of the only times I actually read a long thread like this, and it was certainly worth it. I wanna do this now, but I’d probably embarrass myself because this is a much more graceful journey than I had gone through.

2 Likes

Pain is beauty.

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind words :blush:, I’m working now, but will respond later.

One thing I missed was the Vanguard was gifted to my baby cuz in recovery. He had been riding my old boosted(my first esk8 from may 2018) with a Stealth deck swap.

It was quite rewarding to get out on rides with him doing well.

3 Likes

This is awesome dude! (Starts writing down notes for my own shortboard)

3 Likes

Hahah yeah this build literally inspired my omakase build. Rode it and was like I want one :laughing:

4 Likes

I always loved the Sidekick, it’s a beautiful deck and you pushed it to the next level, pretty high standards man. This build is unique sexy as hell

5 Likes

I’d like to confirm this statement.

I was super impressed when Andrew did all of his test pieces and thoroughly learned the process rather than just following a how-to and just smashing it out.

2 Likes

Ahh, thanks Chris! And you know I’d go bedpan instead of a box, they look better

Doooooiiiit, they fill a niche spot, but are quite fun. So easy to just grab it by the trucks, toss’er down and go

:pray::love_you_gesture:

Really fun vid and good track! Just got a fresh kitty myself and can see how it’s therapeutic

I am vehemently against lights on boards!
(No I’m not, I’m just lazy) Reflectors and a bright ass handheld is my go to

Ahh fuck, :blush:, and @poastoast isn’t completely wrong, all the pink and green plays into it. I didn’t plan it, but I have loaded Jehu bearings which have pink seals too.

:hugs: you’re too nice! I look forward to your soap paint and stencil boards :heart_eyes:

Thanks for reading it! It’s quite rewarding and couldn’t have been done without this community. I’m quite blessed I came in when I did, the level of quality parts/vendors/info availability makes it easier than in years past :metal:

Holy shit, I kept your attention :flushed:! No embarrassment bud, the journey is part of the fun. I’ll tell you, in 9mo from an idea to inception, there was much pain, many parts didn’t work, lots of waiting for the next part that hopefully fixes the issue. Oh yeah, there was pain.

:pray:

Worth it! I thought about naming it MSGA (make shortboards great again) but it doesn’t roll off the younger well

Kurby and Trollsnot had some good dates!

Damn, means a lot coming from you! Moonshine construction is just top notch and the Sidekick is about the perfect size for a compact for me. I studied your Sidekick build and one other at the beginning. The larger wheels and rkp vs top really made for tight tolerances with your enclosure. Glad I saw it through!

Funny, I just stumbled on your Volvo conversion tonight, that was quite the feat, and just gorgeous :heart_eyes:. Really impressive :clap:

It’s a blessing and a curse Al. You can gain the same skillsets on either path, just different ways there.
If you can’t tell, I was the kid Dipping his toes to feel the water instead of just diving right in.

7 Likes

your melon makes me water :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Amazing, amazing build! Loved every photo that came along with it to really understand what had to be done to create this beauty. It’s funny I found this because I’m going through the exact thing. I had no idea how to do any of this shit and now I’m about to finish my first ever build thanks to this forum, unfortunately I don’t got a bad ass name for it yet :sweat_smile: looking forward to see some updates on this!

2 Likes

Lol I’ve just been wanting to see a board with blacklights facing inward to light up the art, and yours looked like a good contender!
Also, I like that you did a bunch of test blocks, I’m actually doing the same thing later this week. Gonna be working on other people’s boards, and I wouldn’t dare touch them without having my techniques well tested and proven.

2 Likes

Dude awesome board, have been thinking about a short board, and as everyone else has said this really shows the way. As for buying a bunch of shit and seeing what works this really hits home :laughing:. For the sharpie on your measuring tape, try drawing over it with some dry erase (at least it works on a whiteboard).

1 Like

Very clean build and clean build thread as well… way to go Andrew… this is awesome. I still need to make a build thread for one of my builds some day.

3 Likes

Build threads are terrifying, they imply your build has a goal and a finished state.

6 Likes

Yeah mine all start will a very blurry goal outline… then Get chiseled out along the way.

3 Likes

And then get modified and parts swapped out because you love the build so much but that new vesc or motor or gear drive just belongs on it

2 Likes

Something doesn’t work right? Replace it. Something works right? Upgrade it.

1 Like

I typically just finish and sell and start over.

1 Like

What is that picture from?

1 Like