Kegel core specification

Ok, this started as a facebook post with guy being confused on why his pulleys wouldn’t fit meepo wheels with kegel cores. And responses where utter garbage with people mocking him for ‘‘buying cheap china clone core wheels’’. Pretty disappointing since I haven’t see anyone define precisely what kegel core is and what are it’s dimensions and yet somehow we all have to know which wheels have better fitting cores and which don’t. Lets not even talk about tolerances and such. The best Ive seen over the years from vendors are values that ‘‘sortof work for most wheels’’ while totally fail to others (one example being the infamous BOA wheel destruction in order to remove 3ds pulley that fits most wheels). In this sense EVERY aftermarket wheel apart from orangangatang wheels uses kegel clone core ̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶m̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶T̶B̶1̶1̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶(̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶a̶n̶g̶a̶t̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶d̶u̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶l̶a̶b̶e̶d̶a̶,̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶)̶ . So how do we fix this?

I propose defining original kegel core with propper cad and cutaway dimensions. So that if for a small chance one of many aftermarket wheel manufacturers stumble upon this, they can produce proper core that fits as many pulleys as possible.

The challenge: Core itself has many manufacturing adjustments that makes hard to define them. Small pins (in order to follow injection molding requirements) are cone shaped . Front curves are lightly sandblasted in order to add texture, most likely to increase surface area for polyurethane adhesion. Both sides aren’t exactly the same and they get flipped now and then. Lastly, for some reason smaller holes don’t exactly align to each other on some wheels.

A while back I did a 3d scan of a kegel adapter and I got these results:

This is NOT final specification, just a rough scan of a 3d printed adapter I did a while back that worked. Ill do a proper scan of kegel wheel once I get access to 3d scanner in coming days.

Looking for any useful info that I maybe have missed about kegel core in general.

6 Likes

Yes, TB110 and Orangatang wheels are both genuine cores from the same factory.

4 Likes

Here is a fusion 360 model of the Kegel core that could be used to create a drawing

Also @Savage1 made some aluminum pulleys that I can confirm fit perfectly into Orangatang Kegels, Caguama, and Torqueboard wheels. Maybe whatever model/drawing he used for his kegel pattern could help as well.

Finally this thingiverse model fit well for me and was used for many years.

2 Likes

The scan In first post is the the same the thingy verse model, however it may be a bit off due to 3d printer adding it’s 0.1-0.2mm’s from expanding plastic.

The @Savage1 model would be nice, would also like some confirmation that it works with ‘‘clone wheels’’ reasonably well. The 3Ds pulleys used to be golden standard apart from being too tight for BOA’s and aluminum core rubber wheels some other company was selling.

I’m still however looking on making the full model, including the chamfered holes so that anyone else who want’s to make something around the core can adjust their tooling and offsets according to their manufacturing procedures. A golden sample if you will.

In theory once we figure out how to solve the model, we can also figure out how to make universal pulley that doesn’t rely on the hole tolerances as much (Most likely something with chamfered edges ir right places)

Will updadate main post. :+1:

3 Likes

The OG Boa wheels (only the original run) were also the genuine cores from the same factory before they got outsourced to China.

Boa wheels do NOT have the genuine cores.

2 Likes

I will gladly provide my models when I go back to the shop on Tuesday. I used a TB 110. I set them in the machine and indicated each hole to make my model.

3 Likes

Is there any way to get OG cores apart from ordering your entire production from labeda/someOtherCompany?

I haven’t been aware of any way.

Like the abec core, I was under the impression that the core was a factory core. So, genuine kegel cores would be in wheels coming from the Labeda factory (like Orangatang or Torqueboards or Ahmyo) and genuine abec cores (like ABEC11 or Zoobomb or Hummie Motors) being in wheels coming from the Aend factory. And various clone cores coming from China factories.

Maybe? IDK for certain.

What are the dimensions for the kegel core pattern? 6mm holes at a 15.8mm center-center distance from the axle?

The standard spacer offset length is 10.2mm? Or is it up to the manufacturer?

I actually have a fully scanned version of an Ollin Popoca made, together with traced outlines, files are on thingyverse.

1 Like