KALY-XLR Ernesto new creation.

Loop key? What kind of BMS?

The drain issue on XLR is not mainly related to the esc. Sure it has a very small self discharge like all vesc that use hiberate. Hibernate is way better solution then a antispark like sooner or later will fail on Unity.

The problem with XLR related to drain or vesc issue is the 12V buck converter and the stabilizer, not the ubox100v, atleast is most cases.

Its ridiculously how many write here in a way it sounds like they know the problem but in reality have no idea about it.

(Iā€™m not questioning the battery problem, the pictures I seen does not look good)

5 Likes

The ubox has a 12v buck in it too. Honestly, I just wanna blame that for the drain. It makes sense. Hibernate is good, but uboxes have phantom drained packs, @jack.luis had 3 die.

4 Likes

Seeing you are aiming that at me Iā€™ll reply.

You have a vested interest in what I say not being true, but the ESC has a drain issue. Itā€™s been documented not just in Kaly boards.

And itā€™s not just the 100v ones either.

3 Likes

Reading about various kinds of leakage right now, and itā€™s way more complicated than I would have thought.

1 Like

This is a concern for me, i only have one oack connected to a ubox but its a 12s9pā€¦ looks like ill be adding a loop key to that enclosure.

Ltt +stormcore, no drain.
My flexibms has a little drain that will bring me from 3.8v to 3.5 in 2 months on a 12s3p p42a, but as a responsible board owner I check it occasionally.

No loop keys

3 Likes

Sure thatā€™s why we used over 200 ones both on boards and for diy. And so far 1 reported problem and was caused of 1 bad connected phase wire due to being soldered wrong by user. Itā€™s the best and most problem free esc I ever used, and we used 200 unitys also and I canā€™t say the same about them.

4 Likes

So your saying skill issue then?

not a serious reply

I mean itā€™s also the LLT BMS, it drains faster than one would like. so bit of a gray area there. thereā€™s empirical data from years of use calling that out too. for example.

unlikely to be a major factor on the kalys though with such a large battery.

3 Likes

Uboxes do have a significant idle current draw, and the current itself varies from sample to sample.

The presence of both the 5v and 12v buck converters on the Ubox is one of the things that lead to it having a higher than average idle draw, and from the few boards Iā€™ve had through the shop with Uboxes in them, whatā€™s become apparent is that their manufacturing quality varies enough to also lead to variance in idle draw.

Whether thatā€™s due to the PCB assemblies themselves, or the variation in component tolerances, I donā€™t know.

My experience with Uboxes has been fairly suboptimal, and I have indeed seen them lead to fully drained packs that need replacement, including in boards with no other accessories connected, or particularly power hungry BMS units.

For context, I have had 9 boards in the shop with Uboxes in them. 3 of them were due to idle drain sapping the battery to flat dead, of those 3, 2 had no other accessories connected, and used standard hardware Daly BMSs, which I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever known to be power hungry, over the 90ish of them Iā€™ve installed into packs.

16 Likes

Canā€™t someone hook up most common vescs to a power supply and measure the draw over a week?
Definitive proof would solve all those random guesses as to what might drain or not.

2 Likes

I can do it.

Send me all the vescs.

Pm for adress

1 Like

If you want us to help you troubleshoot this, post some pictures and details of how you have things set up, and describe in detail how much voltage the pack is losing in a day / week / month.

LLT BMSā€™s are quite good, and it would be rare if that was what is draining your pack.

1 Like

Iā€™ll try that next week, thereā€™s a Ubox sitting in a dead board I have to tear open.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not draining fast enough that Iā€™m concerned about it, just faster than I would expect from self discharging. I use it for a 48v, 3kw inverter when the power goes out, and I just keep it at 46v. Iā€™ll have to monitor it more closely to produce any figures.

1 Like

The problem is your BMS

This particular model has a higher then normal idle drain aswell. I would replace the BMS

2 Likes

Ahh, thought you were using it in an esk8. Yeah, disregard what I said above.

@Skyart has seen more LLTs than most/any of us - time to pick up a different LLT or another brand of BMS.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also hearing from someone that in the Kaly XLR there is a buck converter direct from battery powering the servos for the stability control system. and that they tested this and think itā€™s the source of the vampire drain.

If someone could verify those tests, with some current numbers, thatā€™d be nice to know.

4 Likes

are some LLT better than others?
or youā€™re saying all LLT bms have higher draw than other brands?

2 Likes