JUMPINATOR II | MBS DW II | E-TOXX | lightweight MTB

That is good news!
I am 60kg, that may make a difference.
I am sure if you let yourself go it is more fun but

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

love the vids even when I’ve seen them before - you are single-handedly responsible for my burning desire for a jump board ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly what I thought in the past but my brain says it wants fun and thrill.

Just a small story from this summer in switzerland. I was riding a narrow single trail downhill in the woods, on the left and right side bushes and trees and steep terrain. It was slippery and very steep and I reached the point where I couldn’t brake anymore so I had to 100% focus to stay on the track. It was so crazy that I started to laugh loud and couldn’t stop, after about 2 minutes the trail ended and I could finally brake there.

Was it dangerous? Yes
Was it stupid? Yes
Was it the best MTB riding moment so far? Yes :metal:
If you ride and laugh or at least smile then it’s a good ride

But back to the wallet, if you want to save money and pain stay far away from (small) skate parks! Concrete is (no) fun :laughing:

Another tip, only jump or ride crazy when you have a good feeling about it. Sometimes I also ride to dirt park and leave it after a couple of jumps because it’s not the day for it.

Haha thanks bro, sorry for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yeah jumping is a really nice and unique feeling as long as you don’t crash

It’s quite safe if you can practice on the same table and start with rolling over it and then increasing the speed step by step until you fly and then until you fly higher. With active jumping (ollie or lifting the board when jumping) you can fly higher and longer but it’s more difficult so that’s step 2.

Just for clarification of some shapes

Tables are the best way to jump safe and be able to slowly increase speed/height. Doubles or drops with a gap are nice as long as you jump far enough otherwise :face_with_head_bandage:

Funny that the dirt park close to me is build like the drawings above. Roll-in, roller, set-up jump and main jumps. Only difference is that the jumps are tables. Also it’s the reason why I can’t ride faster before the first main jump. For mointainboards it would be best to skip everything and start with the main jump(s).

8 Likes

They changed my big table jump to a big double and didn’t tell me…

Caught my front wheels just barely

15 Likes

Damn :joy:

Did you ever try heelstraps? I wouldn’t jump without

3 Likes

I learned that in a indoor skatepark without heelstraps closed after the jump.:joy:
I fucking love helmets.:love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Not yet but they are on my Christmas list!

2 Likes

I second this.
There are those crazy days where you just one with your board and everything is possible and there are other days where it’s better to just have an easy time cruising around the block.
I usually warm up easy, do some small jumps and during this time I pretty fast realize what’s possible and what not.

6 Likes

Thanks for the GIF @Venom121212 I watched the endless loop quite a while and it motivated me to move on with the build because I want to jump, miss the feeling of lifting off (not the crashing) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here the mini beside the maxi drive 3 days ago.

Mounted the motors and also sealed the slots of the mount because the motor I use (like many) have gaps there especially when using 8T helicals. I forgot to seal the 2 exposed small threaded holes on the motors.

Done!

When using truck extensions on the rear only then the spur width is wider than on the front. I prefer symmetry and also got used to the look of the “phat” tires so I gonna use E-toxx offset hubs. No truck extensions and no hub adapter needed. Officially available in 2020 :grin:

Same T2 tire, same pressure, on the right side MBS hub.

Made spacers for the front axles to get the same spur width.

On the hubs were the heavy chinese tires mounted but I switched to the light T2’s. I could bring the weight down…

In comparison to Superstar hub with T3 tire

That’s crazy light for an aluminium hub and deserves a sticker :partying_face:

I had to mount the existing electronics somehow so I drilled 4 holes for the threaded inserts with this template.

It’s funny how they disappear within the graphic, find the 4 inserts here

For now 4mm plywood with 2mm foam

Blue Loctite…

No time to waste so just used 2mm double sided self-adhesive foam

Tada…

Quick and easy wrap, 2mm EPDM foam

Gonna add silicone sheet to close the gaps on the side soon.

It’s 5:30am here and I need to sleep, DIY the whole night :flushed:. Tomorrow I mean today I hope to have the first test ride, it’s almost finished :pray:

13 Likes

I couldn’t ride as intended but at least the board is finished :grin::partying_face:

The electronics got a silicone sheet cover so now it’s dust and splash–proof.

Also finished the wires, added 1mm foam on both sides of the cable clamps.

I secured the wires with zip ties to the rear binding. I always slide a heat shrink tube on zip ties so the edges can’t damage the wires and the grrip is much better e.g. on metal.

Also I pimped the raw hubs with some red foil to match the board but now it’s time for some evidence pictures, can’t believe it’s finally done :sunglasses:

The spur width is sooo wide, from the outer edges of the tires it’s more than 46cm (18inch)

My urban carver looks so small now :laughing:

Here a comparison to standard spur width

I’m looking foward to finally ride it tomorrow or on monday, there’s one thing called work which prevents it for now. It was raining the whole week so unfortunately dirt park is not an option, guess it’s time for evil skate park to test.

Have a nice weekend!

23 Likes

Those trucks look soooooo wide :joy::ok_hand:
And the tires on those etoxx hubs look totally different like they would on usual hubs.
Well done :+1:

4 Likes

Awesome !! What a gorgeous setup !

I was also a bit astonished when I ride those extender truck on a little cycle path where I usually am able to carve a bit, now it’s really short from one sidewalk to another - like unvisible carve :laughing:

Once again, your build look sick bro :v: enjoy it ! Can’t wait some new vid !!

3 Likes

That’s a thing of beauty, man. And those hubs! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Very nice end result!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments :facepunch:

First test ride / jumps in skate and dirt park done including walk of shame home because of empty battery :laughing:. I’ll post my first thoughts and some pics soon…

Definitely :crazy_face:
It’s a combination of the trucks and hubs, like with extensions. The width of the E-toxx hubs (outer bearing to outer bearing) is 24mm compared to Superstar 34mm or Rockstar II 38mm. That means you can mount them more outward.

Second, the hanger of the Matrix II trucks is longer (30,7cm) compared to Trampa (28cm). Furthermore the first 8mm of the MBS axles are 12.6mm and act as a short spacer. That means you would need a 21.7mm spacer on Trampa axle to get the minimum spur width of Matrix II trucks. Normally you use the 18.2mm spacer on Trampa trucks. With gear drive you just skip the spacer or use shorter ones but this is not possible with Matrix II trucks therefore you need truck extensions or E-Toxx offset hubs. The total length of the hanger including axles and threads is 40.4mm of Trampa and 41.5mm of Matrix II . Enough numbers :laughing:

:rofl::rofl: That gave me a good laugh

7 Likes

Here we go, I was so curious how the board performs and now I know :sunglasses:

First time with closed bindings and shoes I thought “wow that feels really carvy”. After a few meters I thought “jesus is that carvy” and then after some circles and turns in grass “oh lord this is carvy AF” Did I mention it is carvy? :joy:

Then I reached skate park and did some jumps, the stiff board feels weird while landing but not bad. The trucks are very sensitive at mid speed. I (tried) to jump above a concrete table where you need more than 30km/h (19mph) to succeed. No problem with the Trampa but when I tried it with the MBS I got speed wobbles, a bit sketchy. That was the moment I left skate park before I hurt myself and rode to muddy dirt park. That was a carvy ride.

I first tried the single trail and it was perfect to ride with this carvy trucks, really epic! Then I started to jump and instantly noticed that the trucks with orange shock blocks (medium) are way to carvy and instable. After compressing them quite hard it was getting better but I need to order the stiff red ones for jumping for sure.

But now some pics

18 Likes

Realized that as well on my first ride :sweat_smile:
Changed than to orange front, red back, but well work hold me back from trying them out.

4 Likes

I forgot to mention the total weight of the board, it’s 12.6kg (27.8lb). A bit more than expected, the former Trampa Jumpinator was 11.4kg (25.1lb). The new board and the drive train add some weight but it’s not too heavy for jumping so all good.

One thing I recognized is that it is difficult to lift the board, also 180’s at low speed or on standstill are not easy because of the stiff deck. I’m used to Trampa decks where you push the deck down and then with the pop of the trampoline lift the deck. This is totally different with the stiff deck, I need to ride faster to get the same air as with the Trampa but I think the MBS will shine when jumping higher :sunglasses:

The graphics start to fade/scratch away, that’s only from dirt park sliding/touching dirt :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Just from your [overwhelming😉] experience, I am 60kg and I have a trampa holypro ds11 17ply at sender’s.
How much flex will I get out of it?

1 Like

According to this chart it should be alright if you don’t like a lot of flex. I guess the stiffest Trampa deck has more flex than a normal “flexy” deck. The only thing is that when a Trampa deck is “too stiff” then the stance is maybe a bit crooked because the camber of the deck is still there. When I stand on the 16ply the deck is almost flat.

1 Like