JUMPINATOR II | MBS DW II | E-TOXX | lightweight MTB

Crazy jumps :flushed::flushed::flushed:

I begin to jump and need advice from the master, same haero/etoxx like you but in 9ā€™/dampers/stiff deck, do you use heelstrap ?

Pic after 1h training, impressive in my head, not so in reality

2 Likes

Looks good :ok_hand:

My first advice is get knee(/shim) protectors, gloves (very important) and crash pants :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I prefer wrist guard gloves which saved me hundred times already. With normal gloves I had pain after almost every fall which sucks.

I can recommend Hillbilly wrist guard gloves (wonā€™t work with your remote), I need 1-2 new pair each year but itā€™s worth it (poor goats).

After a high speed fall on concrete

I use Hillbilly gloves since about 2 years and never injured my hands, wrists or got pain. Ok I injured my thumb 6 months ago and it still hurts but no glove in the world could have saved me.

Yes I use heelstraps and I would never jump/ride without. Many gravity riders jump without heelstraps but that scares me. The first year I didnā€™t use them because I often crashed with them and felt like an idiot.

The only secret to avoid falls with heelstraps is jumping (changing the position of your board). I give you an example: Imagine you drive slowly sideways on a slope and your back is pointing downhill. The chance is big that you lose balance and fall backwards. Without heelstraps you just take one foot out of the binding and step on the ground. With heelstraps you canā€™t do that and fall backwards like a stone.

Now the trick, instead of falling backwards you just lift the front wheels and rotate them a bit in the downward direction, thatā€™s it. The same thing you do if a curve is too tight. After a bit practice you can use this technique with all wheels to avoid crashes when jumping/riding. It saved my ass so many times already. For example when you land crooked or in a bad way you can instantly lift the board and correct your position. Itā€™s hard to explain, letā€™s say you lean way too much to the right after a jump. Now itā€™s very difficult to move the body to the left before losing balance. But if you immediately lift the board and pull your body fast to the left at the same time you can keep on riding. Sometimes I have to jump and correct my position 3 times in a row with smaller movements. I hope I could explain it a bit.

That is impressive dude, the same feeling I have right now on bigger jumps. The feeling wonā€™t change, just the airtime depending on the actual skill level. How I jump in the video is also my personal limit right now. Since when do you ride MTB?

I think the most important thing when jumping is to increase the height in very small steps so that you always feel comfortable. Taking 2 steps at once often leads to unnecessary pain. Pushing the limits is exciting but dangerous as well. Of course you have to push the limits for progression but slowly and only if you feel ready for it. There are days where itā€™s not the right day and then there are these perfect days.where you can do it with ease. Sometimes I jump and canā€™t even safely grab the board and another time I can do whatever I want. Listen to yourself when you go jumping and jump according to your current daily constitution. Also after some practice you get a feeling how the board behaves in the air and which body position is best. Then are you ready to increase the airtime.

One more important thing when jumping is the speed. Obviously the bigger the jump the faster you have to ride and the stiffer the truck should be. I often crashed because of too little speed. When you jump a bigger kicker you need to step out of the comfort zone and ride faster than usual. For many jumps you need at least 20-30km/h (12.4-18.6mph).

You can increase height and airtime with active jumping. Just before leaving the kicker you ollie or just push the deck down, bend your knees and lift the board at the highest point of the kicker. I would only do that when you feel comfortable with normal jumping because otherwise itā€™s easy to lose balance in the air.

How heavy is your board?

In the past when I was riding with my regular MTB I visited dirt park only sometimes and not too long. I made the fastest progression since I have the Jumpinator and decided to jump more. I donā€™t ride this board at all, only jumping and skate park and maybe a little ride to get there. If you focus on jumping then the progression is faster.

Iā€™m addicted to jumping and a week without jumping is a bad week, havenā€™t jumped since 8 days :disappointed_relieved:. Too much work these days but tomorrow before work I plan to visit dirt park. I just have to add grease, close the drivetrain and give the thread locker 10 hours to cure :joy:

10 Likes

This, this is a complete answer :heart_eyes:

100% agree with all your vision of jump, maybe the trick for donā€™t fall is a little hard to understand despite your excellent explanation but if i read your message a few time more and go back to park with your advice in mind it will be ok

When you think you fall off you lift the front wheels and correct your board position, right ?

The only day i take pics and video i donā€™t wearing my gloves, what a shame, i wear my old motorcycle gloves fs18 furygan when i ride and it save me so many time, this day i just go out for some wheelspin and find this trial park so i decided to start to jump, nothing was planned so i agree with the ā€œday on/day offā€ sometime i want to hit mountains but only hit my back, sometimes i only take the mtb for chill on small path with a beer and have the greatest ride : donā€™t know if its in our head, physical or something else

Listen to yourself is the key for donā€™t get hurt imo
Its invisible but i wear a crashpant under the short who save me many million times

I have tried chinguard and canā€™t ride with so its not the better idea but its without for me

I ride mtb since 1 year (about 200km) because time and massive ankle injury last year but i push longboard and skate since 10 years now

Complete mtb is about 17kg in 8ā€™, i didnā€™t wheight it with 9ā€™ but maybe 18/19kg
I need to find a dirtpark near my home, motorcycle park isnā€™t the better solution for mtb, too much crossing and rocks on the landing.

Nice addiction Mr, im going to try to apply your advice and tell you back

4 Likes

Time for an update but not a good one :disappointed_relieved:

I was in dirt park today after a long break and had fun for a couple of minutes until I crashed quite hard. It happened on the biggest jump. I was too slow and in a crooked position but jumped anyway with full throttle before. Well the worst happened and I lost balance in the air and fell backwards and sideways during flying. Jesus that impact was heavy because I jumped quite high. I smacked to the ground and landed on my ribs and shoulder/arm.

I had a protection vest but no protectors on the spots where I landed, you can see the dirt there (side view)

Also I destroyed and lost the palm protector, it just broke off :man_shrugging:

My ribs hurt and I can barely move my right arm :ok_hand:
Today I chill and decide tomorrow if I go to hospital or not.

Stay safe guys :pray:

14 Likes

Ouch! Speedy recovery Rich :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

If you doubt go to hospital dude, violent falls are really bad
Stay strong :facepunch:

2 Likes

Thanks bro!

1 Like

Yeah I guess I have to, I hate hospitals.

Funny because in march when I injured my thumb I didnā€™t go to hospital because of corona, there were a few hundred cases in the whole country. Now there are 10k infected people just in the city where I live, damn it.

Meanwhile I checked the souvenir on my back, it hurts more than it looks.

But Iā€™m more worried about my arm/shoulder, there is something wrong. The last three times when I injured my shoulder it felt different (didnā€™t go to hospital).

The last time in hospital is 15 years ago (broke my hand). The visit before is 28 years ago when I crashed hard with my BMX and needed knee surgery. Everything was fucked up except my head, no helmet or safety gear, my knee cap was visible after the crash. I was 14.

Damn Iā€™m getting old, 42 is not the best age for doing this crazy jumping stuff but it wonā€™t get better in the future so the best time is just now :joy:.

15 Likes

Damn dude. That really sucks. Can you move your arm or shoulder at all? The only Esk8 injuries Iā€™ve had so far are shoulder and rib related. I separated my shoulder when I bailed about 6 months ago, and knew I messed something up immediately, but could still move my arm. Broken or fractured ribs just suck for a long time while they heal, and I donā€™t think thereā€™s much doctors will do for those besides pain pills, unless theyā€™re severely broken and need surgery. I hope you heal up soon, but it might not be a bad idea to get some x-rays at least. Stay strong, bro! :facepunch:t3:

3 Likes

Thanks guys for motivating me :+1:
Iā€™m in hospital right now waiting for x-rays.

9 Likes

Please keep us all in the loop.
Hope for a fast recovery and minimal to no damage.

2 Likes

Spent 3.5 hours in hospital and the diagnosis is: Cont. humeri dext. whatever that means :rofl:
Nothing broken I just got a salve for the muscles :sunglasses:

11 Likes

@Venom121212

5 Likes

Paging the forumā€™s doctor :muscle::rofl:

3 Likes

Contusion (bruising) of the humeri (funny bone) dextrally (on the right hand/arm)

:nerd_face:

Bruising a bone is always way worse than it sounds. Good feels and fast heels rich!

6 Likes

I think you said once you are interested in a mtb hopper ramp if they wouldnā€™t be so expensive.
They are on sale again.
Still expensive thouā€¦
(and their free shipping world wide does somehow not apply to Russia before 500$ :pensive:)

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, unfortunately itā€™s still too expensive :laughing:
I think the last time you talked about -40% for the old model which was nice.
The smallest and cheapest ramp is not wide enough for MTB and the other ones are too expensive.

I donā€™t know if you remember but the plastic ramp which Iā€™ve bought months ago is collecting dust and is still unused, what a shame.

I am thinking about a DIY kicker, too. Maybe I find some motivation in winter to build something I have in mind.

Unfortunately my injured arm/shoulder is still hurting after almost 3 weeks and I canā€™t really move/use it, thatā€™s awful. Hopefully there is nothing wrong, time will tell. I guess this season is over and looking forward to 2021.

I hope I can continue where I stopped this year where I made a lot of progression. It felt good to touch the skye :sunglasses:. Thereā€™s just one important thing to keep in mind: the higher you jump the deeper you fall :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

So true :sweat_smile:

Thatā€™s why I cut some wood for a diy ramp.
Just need to but all together one day.

You definitely made some good progress this year. Respect from my side! I would shit my pants probably so high up in the sky :joy:

5 Likes

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :metal:

My shoulder/muscle is not healed yet but I decided to start the new season :man_shrugging:.
As you know my last visit in october in dirt park ended in hospital. Time to gain confidence.

On monday I was ready to jump and geared up in dirt park but unfortunately one wheel gear was loose. I guess this was the reason why I crashed, damn.

So I glued it back with Loctite 648 and heated it to 60Ā°C for some hours. In the end I let it sit for 55 hours.

Today I was in dirt park again and a bit afraid because everything is bigger now and there are new very steep jump lines with gaps.

I didnā€™t ride for almost 6 months so it was weird in the beginning and I rode a few minutes on grass to get the feeling back. Then I did my first jump and lost balance in the air and crashed :joy:. I wanted to gain confidence not to lose more. However after that it went well and I had a crazy session. I jumped all the doubles which I jumped last year which felt great.

But the last one is bigger now and has a very aggressive lip which gives you a knock. The only way is to ollie just before the lip which I never did before. It felt so great and I even did several mellow grabs which I also never did before on this double because with the ollie you get more air time.

The new line on the right side was shaped by an BMX rider so all kickers are very steep and shoot you in the air like a rocket. I was too scared to ride this line but jumped at least the first kicker which is still epic. So goal for the new season is to jump all of them and learn new tricks and getting better in general.

I crashed several times today and have a bit road rash or in this case dirt rash but not too much so all good.

Have some nice rides and stay safe guys :sunglasses:

16 Likes

Great to see you back on a board Rich!

Can we expect some videos of you airing the new jumps soon?

4 Likes