JoeyZ5's Battery Building Adventure

Awesome build log :slight_smile:
Your blade tests look strange to me, as I would expect a stronger gradient. Maybe you can make a test weld with 0.1J, this should result in a near zero pulse duration and little effect on the nickle strip. If you don’t get that then your calibration is probably off, in that case check/faster all screws (also the electrode set screws, but be careful there as they thread into copper), clean the tips, and make sure to press the tips together hard during the SHORT test. Make sure that you don’t get any sparks, otherwise repeat.

1 Like

I redid calibration, no sparks, and just to make sure I checked all fasteners and probes. Here’s the results

Here is the test on knife blade at 0.1 J

Nothing really happened. I’m hoping that’s good?

1 Like

Not enough joules to knock the froth off your frappuccino

3 Likes

Finished my first pack! Went petty smoothly.

Here’s the build:

I used the black HMA that ZachTetra uses and it turned out pretty well. By the end I was getting nice smooth lines of glue between the cells. Either way it was getting covered with fish paper.

Also I have a question, how do you all get the fish paper perfectly aligned? On many I had to trim off some excess as it was at the slightest angle at the end of the wrap.

Welding begins:

First weld of my first real pack! Real history for me right here :grinning:

I think I got the hang of this pretty quick.

Here is all the P groups for the hoverboard pack:

The fishpaper added some extra thickness to the width which made assembling the cells to the BMS PCB a little tough.

The build was pretty easy. It took a few hours but I was going at a snails pace to make sure everything was perfect.

Here is the finished results:

(My shrink wrap calculations were a little too big but its mostly tight.)

(I know the name isn’t very creative :joy: I’ll think off something soon)

9 Likes

Just some pics I took while building a 10s3p brick for a portable board charger.

I’ll add more once I finish.

9 Likes

Moving my 12s8p P42A progress over here.

Here’s the previous pictures I posted:

And here is the progress I made on day two.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

Welding is 75% done, I need to cut/weld balance tabs and then mount the two last p groups on the top perpendicular to the rest of the pack.

12 Likes

Looking fantastic! Hopefully it all goes well :smiley:

2 Likes

Here’s the last bit of the build:

Went pretty smooth, just waiting on XT150s for the main connections.

The welded 12s8p P42A is actually smaller than my old NESE 12s8p 18650.

12 Likes

This is one attractive battery.

Sent that shit to Elon ASAP you’re hired.

1 Like

My mom keeps telling me that I need to show this stuff to colleges when I start applying :joy:

5 Likes

Seriously dude it’s worth it, saying you make high power li-ion batteries with smart sensors for personal electric vehicles looks spectacular

3 Likes

Hey guys, I just recently finished my 8th (I think) battery build and now I’m out of them to build! If anyone wants me to build them one for them, I would be estatic to do so for a low cost.

I’m a high school student (don’t let this discourage you) so right now I’m doing a lot sitting around at home with school being mostly online. I’m not trying to do this make a ton of money, but its something I love to do (It brings me back to building Legos like when I was a kid) and a little bit of extra cash here and there wouldn’t hurt to fund my esk8 expenses. (belts and tires start to add up quick :joy:) There’s just something about putting on some Spotify and building a pack that is just so satisfying.

Quality and safety are my #1 priority, and I’m willing to put in as much time and work as possible to make my batteries the best. When I’m bored on a car ride or even on the ski lift, I’m usually reading the battery builders club thread. I’ve picked up many tips and techniques along the way and so far I’ve gotten several compliments on my work. The builds will be posted here too so kind I know there are many eyes on me.

For my first few builds, I plan to start with costs low to encourage sales, as right now my priority is to build my portfolio and gain more experience. Maybe somewhere around a $50 start cost and $2-3 a cell plus BMS and any extra costs, but this is subject to change. I feel like this is a very reasonable and affordable starting point.

For warranty, there is not much I can offer but I will fix the battery if it is DOA for free as long as the buyer pays shipping back to me. For a limited time I can also try my best to make things right within 35 days of you receiving the battery. If the battery is tampered with or mistreated in any way or used outside its ratings, the warranty is voided.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or are interested in a battery.

Thanks for all the compliments and advice so far!

Edit: Forgot to mention this is only within the CONUS and through PayPal.

10 Likes

sad noise :cry: :cry:

1 Like

You do super tidy work, I am impressed…

3 Likes

Cute little 4s4p pack for my friends dad. It’s going to power a fishfinder, designed to last around 10 hours.

Hopefully the 30mm wide nickel will be able to handle the 1A max load :joy:

Just waiting on the BMS from bezos now

10 Likes

So cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Little bump, I want to build some batteries!

1 Like

Lots of building coming up!

Unfortunately Bulkbattery ran out so I had to go with IMR

This little template was very nice for making 96x 52mm length strips.

$32+ in nickel right here… :grimacing:

500 little 1/4 inch corners that are the sharpest little things ever

11 Likes

How many times did you stab yourself with those lil bastards?:joy:

2 Likes

Link to the 30mm nickel strips please

1 Like