iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

You should consult with Torque boards/DIY electric.

I guess you bought the pulleys that came with the TB 160’s right?

So I understand why your only flexibility is on the motor pulley.

1 Like

YUP… Bought the kit

How many teeth on the motor pulley. What is the minimum number of teeth? Maybe you are already there.

If that’s the case then the other options are:
a) do most of your riding in one of the lowere acceleration speed modes.
b) Upsize your battery or parallell in a booster battery. The bigger the battery, the less it sags during hard acceleration.

1 Like

20T
I have a 15t also but I dont like the lower top speed
Dont get me wrong I like my setup minus the battery drain.

I was thinking about riding in a lower mode…

Makes a big difference. I have direct drive so I can’t gear down. I upsized to 110mm wheels. My range on 90mm wheels was 30 km on the fastest speed (4). With 110mm wheels that dropped to under 10 kilometers. But if I rolled back the remote to speed 2 – I was back up to 30 kilometer range again.

I just downsized to 100mm wheels. Huge improvement. Better handeling, responsive turning. The compound is softer than the 110mm wheels so they absorb the same amount of vibration. 10% better accelleration is also much appreciated.

But try out lower speed modes. Alot of riders don’t think to do so.

Also, it looks like TB has some 12 tooth motor pulleys. I could help.

1 Like

Unfortunately, because I’ve owned my original cloudwheels for over 6 months (bought last September), I was told there was nothing iWonder could do about replacing them with the Discovery model. Only 1/4 has a very small crack, but I still haven’t taken my chances yet.

I was offered a $20 off coupon for the Discovery wheels though, so I just bit the bullet and ordered them. I may still one day work up the courage to test my original set on my DDs.

1 Like

The cores on the 120D are thicker than the cores on the standard Cloudwheel.

Will the 120D Cloudwheel bolt to the factory MetroboardX wheel pulley?

In other words, if I buy 120D Cloudwheels for my MetroboardX, will I need new pulleys?

yes,maybe you need.

You probably already know this, but for anyone who doesn’t, there are two ABEC core patterns in esk8. There is the the “Genuine ABEC” core pattern with thin spokes. ABEC-11 wheels (and the original cloud wheels) have this core. Then there is the “Clone” core pattern. The new Discovery model is using the “Clone” pattern, which, as you say, has the thicker spokes.

Genuine ABEC pulleys do NOT fit in clone cores. Clone pulleys, however, usually do fit in genuine cores. The posts of the clone pulley just grab onto the little bump in the core, rather than pressing up against the spokes of the core, if that make sense. So the question is, are the pulleys that came with the Metroboard X genuine ABEC core pattern, or clone pattern?

I have only owned a Metroboard Slim that came with the aluminum pulleys, and they were genuine core pattern. From looking on their website, it looks to me like the Metroboard X nylon pulleys are also genuine ABEC core style only, and therefore will not work with Cloudwheel Discovery model.

Maybe someone who owns a Metroboard X can chime in on whether the pulleys are genuine or clone compatible.

6 Likes

These pulleys are definitely not going in clone cores

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll contact Ilan and see what he recommends.

These are the aluminum pulleys from the Metroboard Slim. They are 100% genuine ABEC core pattern, so as you say,

2 Likes

For anyone who wants to follow the Facebook side of things, for whatever reason:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154570459315254/?ref=share

1 Like

That’s more like the “anti cloud wheel club”.

2 Likes

I keep resisting the temptation to invite Sawyer to this thread – see if we can decompress a bit of his rage.

It’s easy to dismiss someone who is so angry. Puting that aside…

The recent unboxing video on the Sawyer facebook page does illustrate that the i-wonder distributors are still sending out the old style black core wheels. The unboxing showed that the Bearings are now pre-inserted. Presumably the Distributors are doing that to check for cracks before shipping.

There are a few people in this thread who have also recieved replacements from the old stock.

@Hide you have stopped selling your old black core i-wonders on your web site. Should you be reaching out to the distributors to ask them to stop sending out the old stock?

I think there are sever potential problems when the old wheels continue to be shipped.
a) More cracks in fresh shipments
b) Bad PR becasue the old wheels are still shipping
c) Confusion – people might assume that newly arriving shipments are New discovery wheels

3 Likes

It’s my understanding that there is a tester in LA who has experienced the Discovery wheels having the same core cracking issue.

I have forwarded links to this and the other Cloudwheel thread, in hopes he will post. I don’t personally know the tester, and I don’t want to speak for him.

@hide at this point, you should pull all versions of your wheels off the market. Assuming they are in fact unsafe, it is irresponsible to continue to sell them.

This will never happen unforunately.

It was definitely the clear core? Because there’s been confusion about this before.

1 Like

I asked the same question, as I was very surprised. And it was made very clear, in writing that the 120D has the same issue.

Here is the direct quote, cut and pasted but slightly redacted to protect identities:

Actually the problem has not been solved with the “discovery” core. O… … has a set and they also cracked within a few 100 miles of use. Stay away from them for now.