iWonder Discovery 120D Cloudwheel discussion

At that level of effort I would go with the idea of glueing in a push fit pulley.

With this enertion style one you would still be able to remove the bearings to replace them.

I’m planning on doing this I guess. I don’t know what adhesive I should use yet. I think It would need to be very stiff to prevent the core from flexing and cracking.

Oh I realize this is the wrong thread for the braking wheels I’m talking about but the idea stands for these wheels as well with prob an even higher chance of success.

Did you try and fit any non press fit pulleys like those from Dicky that uses the m5 bolts?

1 Like

Ehh, at the very beginning was a whole ordeal about bolt-on pulleys creating too much stress and damaging the core… That was how that whole press-fit thing came about.

3 Likes

Already in production (fit discovery version)

4 Likes

I don’t use bolt-ons in any application. Personal preference.

5 Likes

I’m just catching up on this thread. not sure if it’s been mentioned. take off your drive wheels, pull off the wheel pulley and see it the bearing in the pulley actually free spins. I noticed a huge loss of range (nothing close to my calculation) when I used the TB AT wheels for a bit. Took everything off an noticed the plastic pulley bearing seat was not perfectly round and actually squeezed the bearing enough to seize up the bearing. I put those wheels on the shelf and am waiting for improved replacements from TB.

4 Likes

I think I’ve heard something like that as well but to me it doesn’t really make sense…

Been using bolt on pulleys since I started riding and never had issues, although I might not be the harshest rider :sweat_smile:

Noted on that mate :+1:

1 Like

Any updates on the testing for these wheels? I’m seeing more and more advertisements for them on my feeds.

Did everything get resolved?

1 Like

I’m a ride away from 150km, so I’ll pull them and report back in a few days. Just don’t expect @rafaelinmissouri photo excellence.

4 Likes

I despite those things but in this case there is no way in hell my 3dservisas pulleys are going on these wheels. Sad. 4 brand new top of the line pulleys just collecting dust on a shelf haha

1 Like

just to be sure : the axle is 8mm and doesn’t feet on a matrix, right ? i’d like to have thane that i could quick swap from my pneumies
Edit : if that even exist

They are shipping me a set to test. Any day now add me to the list.

I weigh 255 lbs. So let’s see.

I have some OG cores that havnt cracked yet

3 Likes

Standard skateboard bearings are made for 8mm axles. If you get bearings that will fit in the wheel and have a 10mm hole, then you can use these.

I’m told that I should have pulleys on the way to me within a week. Here’s hoping that happens and they work. I’ll report back when they arrive!

EDIT: Just noticed my flair. Ha.

1 Like

As promised, 150km update:

I know that’s not a ton of distance to go on, but given that some problems have cropped up even earlier for some, it’s something.

I neither babied the wheels nor went out of my way to unduly torture them, just took them on my usual rides that consist of varied quality pave, curbs and grates (both covered and louvered), and the occasional construction zone. I have the same casting imperfections we’ve seen before, but no indication of breaking in either the spokes or the bearing seats.

Will do a 500km update when the time comes.

Still digging the feel of the wheel and what it offers. I did chunk the right front, though (shown in the last picture).

Drive wheels/clone press fit pulley with integrated bearing/rider weight 235 sexy lbs:

Front wheels:

Chunky cheese:

15 Likes

That’s a huge chunk man…

4 Likes

I’m starting to sense a pattern

1 Like

I might have a chunking problem.

5 Likes

Speaking of the chunking tb110, a rider from my local scene recently chunk his while doing slides on the tb110 wheel as well…

1 Like

Let’s see how mine do
I’m 255lbs and don’t tread lightly

4 Likes