Is this budget friendly (ish) DIY eMTB possible ?

Hello there, I want to know if this budget build is reasonnable and if you guys had any recommendations to do.

It’s for a friend that I showed my board to and he wants one, but doesn’t want to invest/spend over 2000 - 2500 CAD(most likely wont be made any time soon tho BUT of course he wants a Trampa board with an enclosure (Eboosted / kalynyc ftw)

First is the most expensive wich is the board itself

-992 CAD
(half the budget went POOF magicaly disapeared)

Second is the battery/BMS and enclosure
Batteries will be model 3 2170 (I may or may not be in love lol) 12s8p so 96 batteries total but it’s more because of the price.
BMS ofc would be a Daly 12s (UNLESS I can get my hands on 2 Flexi bms for somewhat cheap, I’d totally not keep it :grin: :joy:)
For the enclosure I’ll go for the eBoosted HS11 DS for 21700

Total for this part :
+$250
+$14
+$150
=$414 (535 CAD :flushed:)

Third is the ESC/VESC + remote

it’s worth it since it includes the remote and a bluetooth modual and I of course want to support someone of the community!

-$279 (360 CAD)

How much is left so far?

=113 left :grimacing:

fuck alright I think I should go with a single drive for now so MakerX Mini-foc plus ($115/150CAD) instead of the Ubox saves 210CAD

Motor, motor mount, pulley, ETC.
Flipsky 6374 battle hardened I don’t know what kv I should go with tho 140/190 kv $99(128CAD) with a steel pulley.
for the motor mount i’ll go with the Trampa single open belt drive at 130CAD
for the slave pulley I’ll probably 3D print it since I don’t really know what size of wheel he’d take and belts are peretty cheap so 20-40 bucks worth of belts should be enough

The remote

I also need a remote for it, I don’t know how I feel about this one strangely looks like the one on the Ubox :thinking: :joy:

Grand total is :drum: :drum: :drum: :drum: :drum: 2001$ (wich of course does not include taxes and shipping)

What do you guy’s think ?
What modification would you do to this possible build?

1 Like

“budget friendly”

“DIY eMTB”

These phrases don’t even make sense together :crazy_face:

If budget friendly is on the agenda, maybe a street board might work better? That’s my $0.02 anyway. Abort.

17 Likes

First off, I should come right out front: DIY is not cheaper than buying a prebuilt. That’s a myth perpetuated by DIYers to hide their wallet’s pain.

Second, single drive on a mountainboard is just dumb. Go dual or go home.

Third, you should factor in at least another one to five hundred bucks in miscellaneous crap (DOA/broken parts, shit doesn’t fit, connectors, equipment/tools, the works).

If you can’t tolerate that level of budget creep, tell your friend that they need to wait another year or spend some more time shoveling driveways, because a build on a budget like this is a recipe for pain and/or disappointment.

To get good results, needs good parts.
Good parts, cost good money.

Ergo, you need more money to get good results.

A good rule of thumb is to assume a build is going to be 50% overbudget, and that way at worst you will be sad but unsurprised, and at best you’ll be surprised and happy that you were only 25% overbudget.

19 Likes

I’ve gotten my current MTB build to around $1200 USD at the moment, but that’s because of a few specific design choices and good timing which may or may not work for your build:

• Instead of Trampa, I went with MBS. They’ve got 15% off all the time, and occasionally 20%, so you can get a great complete for as low as $320. The Matrix II trucks also have a wider variety of mounts available, including the very affordable but great Boardnamics ones

• Buy everything around 11.11 and Black Friday, or really any sales. I got the same motors for $75 each after shipping from the latest sale, and the uBox for $245 after shipping

• Top mount enclosures. It’s a mountainboard anyways, so you don’t really want the enclosure to be what catches rocks and stuff. Boxes can be had for about $20 total since Pelican clones are everywhere. Not as elegant, but functional and tougher

• Homemade chain drive. I’m not sure if this really saves that much money compared to belt, but chains and sprockets are pretty cheap, and I can build a dual drive with about $50 of parts. If you’re handy and got the tools, it’s certainly doable

13 Likes

DIY now stands for I dare you :crazy_face:

I told him he’d better off with a complete build done by “pro’s” even after I told him I invested well over 3k maybe even 4k ( I stopped counting lmfao) he still wanted me to plan / prepare a possible build

4WD for the win :smirk: but seriously at the moment we live in the city he’d use it as an urban board until he moves out.

Or not have a budget at all (what I did for my board and went overboard)

I also have to add that he’s in debt atm so it might turn into my own build/board project wich would have a budget of more like 3000 and some different parts.

2 Likes

Tell your buddy to buy this skate.

Guaranteed to stay in budget if it’s already built.

11 Likes

I agree with everything you said tbh

but belts are safer in case of an accident tho unless you also make a cover for it,

wait how did he not sell it already xD, sent it to him but I doubt he’ll even consider it for now :point_down:

1 Like

it’s still for sale if you’re interested =)

2 Likes

Why go hugefuckingbattery and single drive
Also, why get 18s esc when the battery is 12s. Just get a maker-x dv-6. Cheaper and with reputation already.
Also, don’t disconsider second hand parts
And account for shipping costs too…

6 Likes

Budget build… this is the best I can do

MBS Birds deck complete with matrix 2 trucks, F5 bindings and rockstar 2 wheels = £365

Electric boards solutions MBS belt drive mounts = £130.89

Wheel pulleys = £90.20

Motor pulleys = £23.38

2 x Turnigy SK8 192kv = £76.92 x 2

Focbox unity motor controller = £147.97

Flipsky VX1 = £36

Peli 1200 battery case = £65

Small peli/dive case for unity = £30

= £1042.28

Then add £50 for belts, wire, connectors whatever

Now add £25 for a hobby charger and £5 for a PSU

Batteries to taste, maybe two of these 16000mAh 6S beauts

£153.43 x2

=====

Total = £1429.14 which is around 2472 CAD

For another ~£30 you can switch that belt kit for moon drives and have gears.

That is about as budget you can get whilst maintaining high quality, obviously shipping isn’t included here and I’ve done this from the point of living in the UK.

11 Likes

I personally don’t think it’s as big of a deal as some people make it, since the entire drive sits much higher up on a mountainboard compared to a street board. I’d rather have the better dirty performance, durability, cost, and cold performance than worry about jams, and if it does end up being an issue I can pretty easily CAD and print up a cover for them.

2 Likes

I def still have some researches to do, but the 2472 $ price point is kinda over budget if shipping+taxes get included, overall this would be a good build thanks :slight_smile:

for an offroad only board ofc a chain drive system is better, or a gear drive but it’s expensive

my two cents from building my board that just went thru the roof with costs :joy:

Undermount enclosure works ok if you just use a singel layer of cells but its on the edge mine get smashed into rocks at times :stuck_out_tongue: Also really expensive just for the looks.

Belts suck when off-road! As soon as you hit wet sand it will build up on the pulleys and 1.2…3 the belts snap. You can prevent this to a certain point by having them a bit looser but then they will slip at hard braking.

I would scout the forum and snag stuff as they cone up for sale only way to keep it fairly cheap.

2 Likes

I know mate, my point was to show you that this is about as budget as you can get with acceptable performance and it just hits your budget without shipping and taxes. Like @b264 says, eMTB and “budget” dont go together, this is about as low as you can go in my opinion

7 Likes

I created this sheet for a top of the line DIY MTB. Theres deffo components that you can get cheaper like the deck, tyres and ESC.

I personally feel like a really nice street board costs the same as a DIY MTB

4 Likes

There was a say when I thought they did… the amount of knowledge gained and money spent still amazes me, and I have only just begun.

2 Likes

This is actually pretty great…if you’ve a got a teensy bit more coin what deck would u go for?

3 Likes

I’d cut the wheels from trampa. That’s a huge expense and you’re only getting hypa hubs. Go for These they are on sale right now and will save you a chunk of your budget

1 Like