"Is this a bad idea?"

Ok figured I’d start a thread were people can post ideas that may or may not be good/bad/genius/moronic.

I’ll start with this.

Dual action gas spring shock to stiffen and create rate-of-change attenuation on the spring like trampa Deck.
!

8 Likes

Don’t some people already run them on high speed carvers? Momentum boards comes to mind

1 Like

Not on the trucks. On the deck.

5 Likes

Sounds like you wanna add maintenance to a Baja level

7 Likes

Couldn’t you stiffen It by simply adding layers? I have a 14ply while a friend has a 17ply and his is so goddamn more stiff

2 Likes

Lol my bad, it would work a lot better if it connects near the baseplate and meets at an A frame in the middle, otherwise the leverage is really bad

1 Like

I have a firm stiffness Orrsom and its a trampoline but I am slightly overweight. Slightly.

6 Likes

Well so the stiffer deck is not the same as shock absorber. Spring force (stiffer deck) will act linearly to the amount of force (my mass) whereas a shock absorber works on rate of change in position.

@ZachTetra true but this has shock is salvage from a seperate project. And as @Dareno said I love the trampoline part but I wish it wouldn’t oscillate so much after each bump…

1 Like

I have not noticed any oscillation on mine but its a very tame build on TKP so not comparable in any way really lol

I bounce up and down quite a bit at speed going over small ish bumps

Stiffening the deck is harder for me. I don’t really have the means or skill to add layers. It drilling two holes and adding this thing on is ez

6 Likes

Since you stated this; not probably what you’re looks ng for but Trampa has “stiffeners” which are plates made from the glass plastic composite weave they use in their decks you mount to the bottom middle of the deck to reduce flex.

Interesting idea!

4 Likes

I’ve never noticed if I bounce. But I love acting like it’s a trampoline when the beat drops in my helmet

5 Likes

I remember on the old forum talking about fitting a gas strut from king pin to king pin. Interesting idea indeed.

SCIENCE!!!

3 Likes

General Lee horns on esk8. For science you know lol

5 Likes

Rebound damping

1 Like

Train horns bahahaha!

The random crap thread was years ahead of its time brother

3 Likes

I used a piece of 4mm aluminum stock down the center underside of a deck with the objective of stiffening. It didn’t work. The flex was the same, it did lengthen the time of deck rebound.

7 Likes

I used to have an aluminium and ply laminated longboard years ago which I did the exact same thing to using a 4mm 25mm wide bar and first ride out the tail snapped off due to excessive jumping up and down for science.

Tha actual deck was fantastic till it broke and I have not seen anything like it since. Some french mob made it and for the life of me I can not remember the brand but it was a great pintail. Had a layer of ally on the top and bottom. Really nice progressive flex.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly this. I only took two courses in mechanical engineering but basically a stiffer plate acts on the force with which you push. A shock acts on how fast you push.

I’m doing it, worst case the hs11 gets a little more holy pro. I did just realize that I don’t have my own drill set because I just moved out of my dad’s garage workshop. So it’ll have to wait a few days

7 Likes

Where are you going to locate the shock?

I would suggest taking a video of yourself bouncing up and down to gauge the flex parameters before drilling anything.

On the deck, not that hairy girlfriend of yours. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes