Is somebody riding in duty cycle mode?

when i’m in my car on the highway in cruise control (constant speed regardless of incline), sometimes i adjust my speed by using the up and down arrows on the cruise control, rather than using the gas pedal. it sounds like you want adjusting the position of the throttle to be equivalent to using the up and down arrows on a car’s cruise control… is that correct?

1 Like

As said above, you can set profiles in metr with Max speed limits. Honestly though I’ve never thought that I want remote position to correlate to speed. What makes the board predictable is knowing that XX% throttle = XX motor power to the ground.

In order for the throttle position to control % of max speed rather than torque, the board will need to apply regen braking for you automatically on a downhill… and if you suddenly let go of the throttle do you want the wheels to lock up?

1 Like

how would this work for myself (100kg or more) and my buddy (50kg) who uses my boards too?

Why would this bother me?

Once I reach my desired speed let’s say with max acceleration, I just dial back on my trigger to the point where it will maintain that speed.

Then I’ll carve the way I want to and sometimes I’ll adjust the trigger in case I want some extra power coming out of a carve.

I don’t see what you are trying to solve.

If you want to carve at a set speed that maintains that speed, you will need cruise control which will do just that.

Anything else, no matter what mode, will always require input adjustment from the trigger to maintain a certain speed.

7 Likes

Duty cycle mode was behaving exactly like the Evolve RC and that’s what I want. No dead end on the throttle and no accelerating after reaching the given percentage of speed.

that’s not what I want and I explained it now like 6 times in 2 different threats. If you don’t know how a “normal” RC behaves please check it first. I posted also a video of the Evolve RC and how it works. Please don’t get me wrong. I’m thankful for your engagement, but it gets difficult to explain over and over what’s wanted. I think the other guys here got it already.

1 Like

so when duty mode is giving you the performance you want, what are the regen brake settings? (motor min and battery min). I think if these numbers are as high as you can safely do in current control mode, when you let go of the throttle I think you’ll get strong braking without applying the brakes.

also in duty mode, you aren’t actually directly controlling the duty, because during acceleration the duty cycle will be adjusted based on the current limits, so any time you’re changing speed, you’re actually in current control with current ramping not controlling duty, even though at constant speed the throttle position might correspond with duty

I don’t know, maybe it’s a question of power. If I pull the trigger off over 10% my board accelerates like crazy to top speed wich is 55km/h at the moment. This is quite hard to adjust, or to cruise. If I want to get to cruising speed I have literally just around 5% of throttle travel which I can use. It’s like juggling with raw eggs.

What does dead end on the throttle mean, and when does that happen?

Let’s say I am on 30% throttle. After let’s say 5sec I am on top speed. Then I still have 70% dead travel on the throttle which doesn’t effect the speed.

that’s because you have your motor current limit set to 100a in current control mode… which is very high… if you wanted gentler acceleration, you’d set this to 60a or 50a or 40a

3 Likes

Sounds like you just need to mess with throttle curves to me.

3 Likes

Some of us have experience with RC and yes they do work like you said.
The VESC current control is most similar to how a car accelerates.
Something is wrong with your board settings if it is difficult to control it.

1 Like

It’s nothing wrong, I just think it’s like the Professor says, because of the high power.

2 Likes

right if you wanted gentler acceleration, just lower the motor current limit setting, and as long as the battery current limit setting equals the motor current limit setting, you won’t lose the throttle range

1 Like

Throttle curve.
And you are chasing a non-issue, don’t bother :wink:

1 Like

Yes that’s what I think too. Need to do some experiments.

You might be right that’s why we will try 100A/100A, but this is just one part of the issue. The other is, that I don’t wand the board accelerating on 30% throttle above 30% top speed.

you can approximate this with much lower limits than 100a motor / 100a bat… these settings are absurdly high for all but expert riders… and keep both numbers the same per motor so you dont lose throttle range at high speeds