Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

They seem ok to me.

Hi everyone,

I’m Serineh (like saying serenade but without the d). I’ve been on the forums for a few months and trying to digest what I feel like is an overwhelming fountain of info. Thankfully I have an amazing helper @Arzamenable who has been guiding me along. Ive used esk8 as an avenue to help me in my recovery. My plans are simply to get better at the easy things first, taking apart and putting the board back together so I can familiarize myself with all the working parts. I plan to document my journey this week as I hardwire lights into my battery with the help of my esk8 caretaker ;). I’ve done just basic things and actually enjoy soldering. My eventual goal is to finish chemo and be able to skate without fear of injuring myself when I’m finally at 100%. I look forward to stepping away from being a nurse to get my hands dirty with more esk8 shenanigans. Oh, I also love dinosaurs. That’s about it :upside_down_face:

20 Likes

I hope you have a speedy recovery and find strength in this awesome hobby!

Just continue reading, you will get a clearer view eventually. I have 6 days combined reading time here and on the efoil forum and I am still at the beginning of my journey as well :joy:

4 Likes

Thank you :heart::heart: It makes a little anxious sometimes. Mostly I’m afraid of falling and doing some major damage since I can’t heal well right now. I need to stick to just building stuff right now! It’s nice to meet you!

5 Likes

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking for the past year or so. I’ve started to post more recently, being more relaxed now with work and life in general. I live and work in a laboratory in the South Bay area. I have no big life story thats exciting, but got into esk8 from searching things for electric cars, saw some electric motorcycles and scooters, and found esk8 somehow from that. I’m planning on my first build; there are so many options for batteries, ESCs, drive system, etc. that need to be decided on. I’m also the type who will postpone buying something that I know I need just because I’m not a heavy spender. Finally have a deck to use and it gives me more motivation to buy all of the other things to start the assembly process.

5 Likes

Well then welcome officially. Smart to start with the deck.
Look forward to your journey!

1 Like

Keep it easy for now @anon86070286 , I’m sure one day you will race @Arzamenable without problems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That isn’t too bad, I probably spent more time last year building boards than actually riding them :sweat_smile: but it’s always good to understand how things work first. Makes life more easy after and helps you to fine tune your board and esc settings to your needs as well.
Welcome and good to have you here :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is John, and I am an electrical engineering major at my local community college. I’m currently planning to build my own board in order to make a short 6 mile commute to my job. I am really interested in building my own tools for my board, so I am taking coding classes. This is the first forum I have ever posted on, but I have been reading it for about 4 months.

12 Likes

Hey John-

Glad you joined us, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. We can always use another gifted EE around here.

Welcome!

3 Likes

Hey there.

Des here from sunny South Africa.

I got my first skateboard in the late 70’s (remember Snowy Smith?) and there’s always been a board of sorts around.

A few years ago, my son got into skateboarding and recently picked up one of these for cheap because he thought it would be fun. Basically a Skatey 800

It worked, but range and runtime were bad, so we replaced the battery’s. This did improve things, but range improved to about 2km and runtime about 20 minutes. Batteries do charge and hold their charge, but seem quite depleted after the short time.

So we are thinking about what needs to be replaced / repaired / upgraded. I know this is quite old tech and possibly a bit outdated, and we will never get to the level of some of the new boards or probably even the range of 30km etc that these boards advertised when new. But even if we could get it to, say 10km and an hour of use, it would be some good fun.

So, I’m getting to grips with this forum and doing the search thing, but in the meantime, could anyone point me in the right direction of what / where I can look?

My thoughts at the moment are to use the batteries because I know they are new. Upgrade motor controller and remote (because that’s where I think the problem is) and then see from there. If the bug bites the rugrat (he’s 16) properly, we’ll build something new and better after that. And maybe I get something in the process.

Any help greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Hi Des-

Good to see you made it over. I bumped your aaccount so you can add pictures, message and post freely.

Welcome!

1 Like

For reference, a Skatey 800:

3 Likes

@Dewd welcome! Just have been in South Africa for a short vacation. There so much nice places :sweat_smile:
I would recommend you to just start a thread and post some pictures of the board with some specs for people to understand things better.
I‘m sure we all can help you to get something good out of that board.
My first question would be, which batteries you bought to put into the board?

2 Likes

These have, I believe, older lead/acid batteries.So with those batteries supplying juice, you’re not really going to get any significant gains in power, range or runtime. Since you have a pretty big enclosure and probably don’t want to put too much money into it for now, Lipo batteries would probably be the way to go.

You could also pair it with an inexpensive vesc-compatible motor controller like this:

With a remote like this:

:rofl: funny how you choose your words :rofl: but indeed people can be a real pain in the ass :exploding_head::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Something like this is what got me into this idea in the first place - The FIIK BigDaddy

A buddy of mine mentioned how he wanted one, and I scoffed at the price. Told him I could build one better with more range and speed. Little did I know :smiley: It ended up costing me more than the price of one of those boards just to get everything tested and working correctly. The price he paid was well under the MSRP of one of those.

Enter what i call the JankBoard:

• All 3d Printed motor side
  • Wheel Hubs, Motor Mounts, Motor Pulleys, Motor cage Stiffener.
  • Padded Lipo safe battery bag (Temp Solution) <- buddy wants to fab his own.
  • ROTM MBS Atom 90 amazon special for 150~ at the time.
  • Some janky AF wobbly ass tires that make me pucker more than the Ducati does.

But alas I had a blast learning and dipping my toes into some hobby level electrical engineering, now I’m building my own board - which with the lessons learned will be better, faster and with longer range than the original concept.

2 Likes

I am a software person by trade. Love to tinker with evs. Currently messing around with an awd M365. Would love to get it to 72v with a vesc controller.

3 Likes

Rad! Where are you based out of (my guess is oregon)? we have quite the eclectic group here hailing from all parts of the globe. while you are certainly not obligated to share some find it helpful when answering questions that may be colored by one’s locale

and dont let anyone give you sh!t for scooter riding, we are all family
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yep portland Oregon. Thanks for the nice welcome.

4 Likes

oh from stumptown - my apologies i did not mean to offend with the “eclectic” comment. clearly Portanders are squarely in the weird category :slight_smile:

2 Likes