Integrated lights - discussion/suggestions

Yo! Looking to get some advice on which integrated headlights/brake lights are best. Tried searching the forum and couldn’t find anything great besides the TTL system, but I’m not sure I need such a complex setup.

My original plan was to use some Ecomobl ET headlights that I had leftover, they’d plug right into my Spintend. Figured I would see if there are any better options around.

Any advice is appreciated! I’m not the most handy guy around so the more plug and play the better

2 Likes

the ttl kit isnt complex its super simple

4 Likes

yeah, looking at it again it is pretty straightforward

still interested in other potentially cheaper options

1 Like

Integrated in what way exactly?

Not bolted on but builted in

5 Likes

connected to VESC, powered by battery and controllable with remote

2 Likes

An okay yeah very limited options. Maytech v2 remote gives you that option but has signal issues

A couple vendors are working on light control stuff but nothing out yet

1 Like

The braking with the MaxKGo lighting is disappointing as well. Only turns red once the board is almost stopped which isn’t really a break light. If anyone knows of a functioning break light I’d be interested.

3 Likes

the motion sensitive lights from Xlite on aliexpress have worked great for me. not really integrated but no wiring to worry about.

2 Likes

Reviving this to see if anyone has suggestions for a basic wired brake light. I’ve seen a couple on Amazon that would work, but mounting might be a challenge. Spintend makes it super easy to integrate, just need a low voltage light with a JST connector.

Anyone know of a wired brake light that is mountable via truck holes? Currently using these headlights and basically want a similar setup for the brakes.

The TTL system is awesome but I don’t need to spend that much money, nor do I need side LEDs, etc. Just a basic brake light.

2 Likes

c’mon I know some of y’all running integrated lights, what’s yo strategy

1 Like

Ive run into the same dead end. Everything for bikes is switched and/or internal battery on the light which is inelegant. Everything for motorcycles is too big or clunky.

Modifying bike lights gets me halfway there but often things are epoxied up to be water proof but still not vibration resistant enough to last. Motorcycle lights need major re designing but at least the PCBs are better with no unreinforced surface mount components.

I just don’t like shred lights - expensive for what they are and still have both internal batteries and integral switches.

Could you use the headlights you have and change the lenses to red?

2 Likes

This is my latest idea. They’re headlights from an Ecomobl ET, but they aren’t sold separately. I’d have to convince them to sell me one. May be worth it.

Quick search for 12v lights and i keep getting sucked in to alibaba. These look kinda close but not quite

Amazon link:

Yeah, and the Ecomobl ones have the truck bracket built in which is super handy. Can’t find anything like it

How about these, might have to design your own mount or use:

1 Like

That looks promising, I like the idea using cable clamps too

3 Likes

I think for anything other than brake lights (which you ideally want integrated with the VESC), it’s pretty easy to just wire up and there are a lot of light options available on Amazon. On one of my boards I have a 12V tail-light and a 12V headlight (both from Amazon) running off a buck converter from the main battery. I have separate switches for each light. I’m planning to replace the 12V headlight with a higher voltage unit running directly from the battery.

I also have the TTL system and it’s great but overkill if you all you need are brakelights. The 3D printed TTL lights mount onto the truck bolts and Matt also provides the STL file if you want to make mods.

For brake lights only I found a few bits and pieces:

1 Like

Anyone make a brake light work with Vesc using ADC instead of PPM? Can it be simply converted to ADC?

1 Like

I’ve tried but I ended up looking into add converter boards used by the ebike community to extract throttle input as a digital signal to UART