Ignition Key Switch

s-l500

Hi all,

Would it be possible to use something like this to turn the board on?

Just so I can have more peace of mind with my build out in public, knowing it needs a key to work

I’ve thought about it many times. The insides cant handle the current we use.

1 Like

I guess it’s not really necessary because you can’t operate the board without a remote anyway now i think about it.

However it would be interesting to see if it’s possible to design some kind of loopkey that only works upon rotation…

3 Likes

But there are much smarter people to explain more betterer than I can. @jack.luis probably tell you what’s the best way to key something.

1 Like

Cheers mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer this question, I must ask more questions
Does your ESC have a latching or momentary antispark switch?
If its latching, spintend sells one that should work.
If its momentary, good luck. The latching one could work, you’ll just have to turn it on and off to simulate a momentary pulse.

Also, a key will not make your build secure. Someone can just pick up a board and throw it into their trunk. Nobody can really ride away with an electric skateboard without a remote anyways, unless they wanna kickpush. This is for an electric skateboard, right?

4 Likes

:joy:

I think Flipsky sells an anti-Spark that is based on a latching switch, find the pin out and replace that with this keyed thing and you should be fine.

Warning, if this key thing ever fails while riding, you will lose power and lose brakes mid ride. Because of this I do not recommend doing what you’re doing. You’re better off using a regular XT90 loop key and keeping the loop key with you when you need your board unattended and secure.

It’s probably easier to pick whatever kind of lock this is then it is to source an XT90 loop key haha

3 Likes

I’ve done it before

its not secure unless ur board weighs 69kg, they can just grab and go

most of em don’t have led lights, so u will need another method to confirm the board is either on or off

it works like how u think it would work, but just not practical in daily use, especially if u need to turn board on and off multiple times

funny and cool? maybe
practical as secure device to minimize risk of theft? not a chance

having metr profile set as 1kmh by default is probably more secure than this, assuming whoever trying to steal the board didn’t grab and go

3 Likes

For a momentary switch/momentary key it shouldnt have this issue.

2 Likes

A proper latching switch implementation will “fail on” so shouldn’t have that issue either.

1 Like

That mechanism can still fail. A momentary version of this may be less likely to fail in general :kissing_closed_eyes:

I think

1 Like

In such a case the failure could potentially impact both types, so kinda moot.

I’ve personally had more issues with momentary and prefer latching.

1 Like

You’re right, but then you’re using a key like a button which I guess is more secure haha

1 Like

no context lul

1 Like

Is this a sex thing that only zoomers understand?

4 Likes

Yes. Don’t Google it, trust me.

4 Likes

So the general consensus is it’s a bad idea for a beginner🤣

I think the general consensus is it’s not the most promising idea regardless of skill level.

3 Likes

IME these key tumblers usually lock the key in when in the “ON” position. At least the ones from AliExpress that are used on ebikes and escooters are all like that.

You’d have your keychain dangling from your board the entire time you ride.

You really want that?

Edit: additionally these key switches are actually easier to “Hotwire” than anything. You can jam any metallic object into them and if you jam it in far enough it will engage the contacts. No tooth pattern or pins or tumblers in the way. Just shove a screwdriver in to turn it on. Literally zero security.

Another easy hotwire for these: if you smash them in with a rod and crush the internals it will be permanently in the “on” state.

2 Likes