Ideas for BOTY 2021 thread

Welcome to esk8 news!

10 Likes

I’m aiming for “Benevolent Ducktator,” but I’ll settle for “Aquatictarian BOTY Bird.” :duck::duck::duck:

Just putting this out here now:

I really really appreciate everyone chiming in on what they want BOTY to be this year. It’s giving me a ton to think about and consider. And I mean A TON. So dont be surprised when I cant find the absolute perfect compromise that makes 100% of everyone perfectly happy.

Also, I am going to utilize my powers as Ducktator and draft a couple folks to a BOTY committee, so I can blame them when anything goes wrong.

Also also, I am going to close this poll later today, last chance to vote and share it:

(Next round of voting will be tonight, I’ll probably post a couple polls together.)

Also also also, I know I am not OP, and there’s no serious tag, but can yall please for the love of god keep this thread on topic.

Keeping the piles of shit I have to shovel through to a minimum is the best way to make sure that I actually get a chance to see serious suggestions and good ideas.

Thanks!

14 Likes

You heard him boys. It’s derail time :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

You just bought yourself a one-way ticket to being forced into my BOTY committee, mister.

6 Likes

You have no idea how bad of an idea that is.

Jk, more than happy to help :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Ok, first poll is closed. Results:

Looks like yall want 5 categories. No promises, we’ll see how this next part goes.

Second poll is also pretty clear:

Y’all want nominations to open in the new year. This seems doable.

Now for the next questions:

How many rounds of voting?
  • One, and “BOTY” is a category that competes alongside all the other categories.
  • Two, first to decide which nomination wins each category, second for the category winners to compete for BOTY.
  • Two, first to decide which nomination wins each category, second for ANY nomination to compete for BOTY (free for all final round).
  • None of the above

0 voters

I was going to put a poll here for y’all to vote on categories. I just spent 20 minutes combing through this thread and gathering up all the category suggestions y’all have put forward. Then I started trying to clean up that massive list, delete duplicates, delete suggestions that were incomprehensible, etc.

I got down to like a dozen categories when I realized I have no idea how the fuck to structure a poll for selecting categories when y’all have suggested dozens of different structures for categories, types of categories, etc.

Some people have suggested very objective categories like “urethane builds” which is pretty cut and dry. But then other people have suggested very subjective categories like “street builds” which is very unclearly defined.

I dont know how to put those two suggestions next to each other on the same poll. So instead I’m going to flip the question back to y’all.

How should we decide, as a group, how to structure the categories?

Or should I just pick whichever category structure I like best, since I am the Supreme Ducktator?

6 Likes

so we got
Ben: the Ducktator
battator
and
Al: the Dicktator
cuntator?
cocktator?

2 Likes

I kinda like the idea of BOTY competing with the rest.

One vote means less work for those dickhead organisers too.

2 Likes

I think the polls conducted by myself and @jaykup show a preference for purpose-defined categories over hardware-defined ones. I also think that within that space, you should choose whatever you want because we’ll never stop debating it :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

If there does end up being a lot of builds nominated for any single category it would probably be good to have ranked choice voting for it. Although this may be slightly more work so maybe not worth it.

3 Likes

if 1 board can only win in 1 category, then there is no need for 2 round of voting since if board A won in, let’s say street category, then its not gonna win BOTY, if board A is so fucking good that it should be BOTY, then street category winner is automatically the runner up.

just my 2c, because

i nominate the Outrun board if @EreTroN can finish it by end of this year, no pressure dude :joy:

2 Likes

I see no problem with allowing a build to win BOTY in addition to the category they competed in. I’m leaning heavily towards forcing builders to pick ONE category that they want to compete in when they are nominated.

If we are just doing one round of voting where BOTY is a category alongside all the rest, then I can see arguments for and against allowing 1 entry to win multiple titles. I’m interested to hear from the folks who want 1 round of voting, how do yall want to handle this?

2 Likes

I still like my idea (I think someone else said it too) the best

Three categories. Street, Offroad, Most Innovative

After a build is nominated, the nominee is required to state what category their board is, street or offroad. All builds would be entered into their respective categories, with most innovative being non-segregated (all builds should have a chance for this I think, it will be clear by the voting what people think)

This requires only three polls and a single round of voting. One for street, one for offroad, one for innovative. After that, it is easy. The singular board with the most votes in any category would win overall build of the year.

Now, if, for example, a build were a street build and most innovative, I feel like their combined votes in the two categories would be added together.

All this being said, it would mean that every voting eligible individual would have three votes to cast. One per category, in a single round.

3 Likes

This would be better, and winners of different category can compete for BOTY? Then we would for sure need 2 votings

2 Likes

Well thanks :joy: plan was to finish it by the end of the year. But now I feel the clock is ticking :clock1:

5 Likes

same :rofl:

i’m tired af but sitting at the airport means I can continue my, documentation? idk,

it’s gonna be everywhere thi thatms for sure :joy:

and then rubber airless comes and fucks it all up :stuck_out_tongue:
Just dawned on me that I maybe shouldn’t fight against this since I do have a kick-ass urtehane build this year, lol.
I agree that the build thread owners get to decide which category their board belongs to, in case it isn’t obvious.

I also like the idea of 2-stage voting, with BOTY being chosen from the category winners, because otherwise the votes get spread too thin. And “max votes takes it” is also unfair, in case 99% of people agree “board A wins category X for sure”, but don’t actually think it’s the best board in the world.

4 Likes

Hmm. When you put it like this, 2 rounds of voting actually seems easier.

Category BOTYs round 1, GOAT BOTY (between winners of categories) round 2.

7 Likes

Strongly agree

3 Likes

BOTY winner has round1:round2 voting ratio closest to 0

let the chaos begin :smiling_imp:

2 Likes